First Alert detectors
We have 2 first alert combo smoke /co2 detectors. These are the kind that have a theoretical 10 year battery
Put them in about 5 years ago although since we can't seem to find any documentation regarding that it could have been maybe a little longer or maybe not that long. Anyway...
About a month ago the one upstairs started beeping a warning and then would stop and a little later start up again. Sometimes it would specify a fire. There was no fire. We vacuumed both detectors and the problem went away for more than a month. Until today when the same detector started falsing again.
The previous detectors were wired in with a battery back up and I removed the wires and installed the new detector base directly onto the existing junction box.
There is a statement in the instructions to not do that. No explanation why.
Digging deeper on line apparently electrical interference can cause false alarms.
Anyone else experienced this?
Should we perhaps just go back to wired detectors?
Thanks!
Second part of this question is any recommended hard wired detectors? We have a small house and don't feel the need to redo wiring to interconnect.
We are for sure going to awaken if either of the 2 go off.
For sure now after more research we are going back to hard wired.
Thanks again
I can't give you any specific recommendations, but make sure at least some of them in the house are photoelectric. The ionization ones absolutely suck at going off for a smoldering fire. For example, the company I work for (forensic consulting firm) did a demo once where we built a small room outside, stuck several smoke detectors on the walls and ceiling of the room, had a firefighter with full regalia go in the room, and then saran-wrapped the opening shut. The firefighter then started a smoldering fire. After that he cut a small hole in the plastic and handed out the detectors once they went off. It got smoky enough that we could only see his hand/arm. And there were still a ton of detectors in there, all ionization type, that were silent.

Ionization ones will detect fast burning fire quicker, but it is a difference of seconds. Best bet is to get one that does both, but if you can't do that make sure at least some in the house are photoelectric.

Thanks for that advice! Very valuable and appreciated!
Check your local codes. In our area, they don't allow for wired-in smoke detectors as it is too common for power to be lost in the event of fire.. I can't speak to possible electrical interference causing problems. Maybe you could try placing a grounded flat metal cover plate over the box between the box and the detector. Just a thought. Not sure if it would work. You might also try using some canned air to blow out the detector. This might be more effective than the vacuum.
Good suggestion on checking codes. I did and it states houses built in 1980 or later are to be hard wired.
I had a problem with a detector going off in the middle of the night, always 3 or 4 AM 
Sad  

It turns out that a spider would occasionally walk in front of the opto sensor.  A quick removal of the cover and a visit to the shop vac fixed things for years.
(11-03-2021, 05:55 PM)Maddog Wrote: We have 2  first alert combo smoke /co2 detectors. These are the kind that have a theoretical 10 year battery
Put them in about 5 years ago although since we can't seem to find any documentation regarding that it could have been maybe a little longer or maybe not that long.  Anyway...
About a month ago the one upstairs started beeping a warning and then would stop and a little later start up again. Sometimes it would specify a fire. There was no fire. We vacuumed both detectors and the problem went away for more than a month. Until today when the same detector started falsing  again.
The  previous detectors were wired in with a battery back up and I removed the wires and installed the new detector base directly onto the existing junction box.
There is a statement in the instructions to not do that. No explanation why.
Digging deeper on line apparently electrical interference can cause false alarms.
Anyone else experienced this?
Should we perhaps just go back to wired detectors?
Thanks!

I had a similar situation with one of those "10 year battery" detectors.  I can't remember if I actually saved the receipt (highly unlikely) or if there is a date code on them to indicate when they were manufactured but they sent one out for free or for only a minimal shipping cost.  Check the website or call them.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!