Carter bearings
I just ordered and rec'd some replacement thrust bearings for my bandsaw. The old bearings that had been on there were dinged up and did not seem to roll well on their inner ball bearings. Carter was great about "send us pictures and measurements and we will consult the engineers" to determine my replacement SKU and I'm glad I did. Would have ordered the wrong ones for sure.

Well, the new ones came in but they seem stiffer than the ones I'm replacing. They don't seem to roll "freely" is the word I would choose. But then, are they supposed to? It seems like they would roll in response to friction if the blade is pushed into it during a cutting operation.

I hope I'm making myself clear despite my newbie confusion of what is proper to expect.

Feedback and education hoped for - thanks!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
Eric,  as the grease in bearings dry out,  they can get looser and roll more easily.  That is why a new bearing may feel "stiffer" than the old one.  No worries.
(11-05-2021, 06:05 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Eric,  as the grease in bearings dry out,  they can get looser and roll more easily.  That is why a new bearing may feel "stiffer" than the old one.  No worries.

Excellent, my education advances - appreciate the clarification!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
(11-05-2021, 11:16 AM)EricBruns Wrote: Excellent, my education advances - appreciate the clarification!

Eric,  I wish I could say I always knew it,  but I actually learned it a few months ago when I was rebuilding a table saw for a friend, and got the new bearings and had exactly the same thought as you - why are the new bearings so stiff and the old ones turn so easily.