oak burl lamp
A few years ago I was splitting some red oak firewood when my hydraulic splitter stalled in one of the rounds. Backed it out, did some splits to continue, and was surprised to find that the splitter had stalled in the center of a burl. I've never seen burls in oak before. Wasn't sure what to do with it, finally ended up using it for a small lamp.

Attached Files Image(s)

Pretty cool. You never know what gem you might find in the firewood pile. I scored some spalted maple while helping my FIL cut a load.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
That's a magnificent piece of burl! Did you seal the burl in any way?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I like that, a lot! Pretty cool.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-05-2021, 10:39 AM)AHill Wrote: That's a magnificent piece of burl!  Did you seal the burl in any way?

I contemplated applying a finish, but finally decided to leave it raw. It would have been a challenge to get a uniform finish into all the nooks and crannies, and feel that leaving it unfinished and natural is more in keeping with the "feel" of the piece.