Anyone have a good Jig for Cutting Slots w a Router (Pic)
Thanks all for the suggestions. Here is what I put together yesterday. Admittedly, I missed many of your comments as I was in the shop most of the day. The jig shows room for 7 slots but I only plan to make 6. The top guide is for support of the router. I will start cutting the slots from the second opening. I need to cut the actual slots in the 1/4 ply and add the left and right stops. The reason the guides extend beyond the plywood is so that I can clamp the guides to the shutter. I was not too fussed about lining up the sides as you can tell from the left side where the guides are different length. I may add a 9th guide to the bottom to support the 6th slot.

Wish me luck. I will of course try it out before I cut the slots in the shutters.

Thanks, Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

And use a chisel to square up the ends?

My first inclination was to use a dado head on my table saw.  Clamp the shutter onto the table and slowly raise the blade. On a sled it would easy to make a wider slot if required.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-09-2021, 11:23 AM)Cooler Wrote: And use a chisel to square up the ends?

My first inclination was to use a dado head on my table saw.  Clamp the shutter onto the table and slowly raise the blade. On a sled it would easy to make a wider slot if required.

Yes. I have one of those Chisels that has a 90 degree bend in it.

Your idea is interesting but the slots are too big.
I would use that 1/4" ply and two of the 3/4" strips to make a make a sled/jig that references the the router base vs a template guide. Sure you'll have to position and clamp the jig for each slot, but I think it's still less work than positioning all the spacers on the ply. The math is similar too; diameter of router base + width of desired groove - cutter diameter. (Same math for length.) I do a test cut just barely scoring the surface of the ply. When it's right, cut through the ply. The slot in the jig is exactly the same size and location as the slot it will create. You can put a fence on the bottom to locate the stot's ends from one side while keeping it square.

B.T.W. The jig would be done in less time than it took to type this.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"