does blum make a hold up hinge?
I was searching for something and this popped up. Not even close to what I needed but I thought of you. https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Randoml...hi&sr=1-73
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
That one is very much like the last one I bought, thinking that it would work.
They both would, if there were a bit more room. Both of the doors/openings I am
dealing with are VERY small.

One of the pics in that link showed some measurements and I checked
again. Nope.

Thanks for thinking of me! There will be a solution eventually.

Might have to make something custom, someday.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I ordered this item a few days ago.  It has not arrived yet so I cannot report.  The reviews were excellent.  It is designed for Blum type hidden hinges.  Not all devices will function with hidden hinges.  Some specify conventional hinges only. 

The instructions are for both toy chest lids and overhead cabinet fronts.  Sugatsune has a good reputation.

Sugatsune SDS-C301N Soft-Down Stay

Eases chest lids and lift-up cabinet doors quietly closed—also holds the door open, freeing up your hands to lift out items.

https://www.rockler.com/sugatsune-sds-c3...-down-stay

The instructions are more edifying than the listing, but I had to read it over several times to be sure it would work for my application.

http://go.rockler.com/tech/61716-68244-instr.pdf
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the input Cooler. I really do appreciate you guys trying to solve the problem.
That's why I posted here, everyone helps each other.

( Gotta love WoodNet!)

Unfortunately, that unit will not fit either.  Only have a five and a half inch tall opening.
The way that unit folds, there is simply no room.

That is a good unit though.  Coincidentally,  I installed two of them earlier this year on
my grandsons' toy box!

The instructions that came with mine were not very helpful.  I figured it out, mostly by
simply clamping where it need to be in the extended (open) position and installing the
screws.  If you ordered from Rockler perhaps you will get a better instruction sheet.
(I went through Amazon)

At this point, I will probably have to make what I am calling a "following/falling prop rod."
A strut of some kind, with one end pivoting off the raise up door, which rides on top of a fixed post inside 
the cabinet. When the door reaches ninety degrees, the rod will drop onto the fixed post
as it has a 'slot' in it.  Presto, the door stays up on it's own.  To release you have to raise the
strut off the post and let the door down.

Not as elegant as I would like, but dirt simple.

Thanks again.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Mark, I was up at my freind's house today and he had a narrow lift up cabinet door on a cabinet above his microwave.  They are Ikea boxes and hinges. They look like this, and are well less than 7" 

[Image: AM-JKLV-sfnOlH5ZNT9yIgQ9tKZkc3OaO-aTLd3q...authuser=0]

If you're still looking for a solution you might give Ikea a call or send them an email.  Good luck.

John
(12-01-2021, 08:41 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Mark, I was up at my freind's house today and he had a narrow lift up cabinet door on a cabinet above his microwave.  They are Ikea boxes and hinges. They look like this, and are well less than 7" 

[Image: AM-JKLV-sfnOlH5ZNT9yIgQ9tKZkc3OaO-aTLd3q...authuser=0]

If you're still looking for a solution you might give Ikea a call or send them an email.  Good luck.

John
Good call! A quick search found this page; 
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/cabinet-h...ers-24260/ 
They're $40.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
In my limited experience with Ikea, they use Blum hardware.
Might be worth it to contact them.

Ed