Testing an HVAC Unit
Someone I know moved a small  house for his in-laws.  He has the HVAC unit (heat pump) from before the house was moved.  He wants to test it before installing it and reinstalling all of the ductwork.   If it doesn't work he is thinking about mini split.    Is it possible to get power to it and then see if it works?  Is there a test mode?   Could he connect a thermostat to it?  would it cause problems if it doesn't have any refrigerant in it?

(11-11-2021, 03:49 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Someone I know moved a small  house for his in-laws.  He has the HVAC unit (heat pump) from before the house was moved.  He wants to test it before installing it and reinstalling all of the ductwork.   If it doesn't work he is thinking about mini split.    Is it possible to get power to it and then see if it works?  Is there a test mode?   Could he connect a thermostat to it?  would it cause problems if it doesn't have any refrigerant in it?

I am sure Blackhat will have the correct response but do you know if the refrigerant was pumped back into the outdoor unit and sealed ?   I don't know if there is a way to test it without the A coil connected to it which would require it to be evacuated first.    This info may help Blackhat on answering it.   Roly
I do not know. I don't even know what questions to ask
Smile. I am also hoping Blackhat chimes in. I don't think refrigerant was pumped back in. I also believe the unit is all outdoor, which is to say both the heat exchanger and compressor are one unit that sits outside the house.

I do know that it is all 1 unit, which is to say that the air exchanger and compressor are not separate. it is a small house, really no room to install anything in the attic.

The first thing is an assessment of the unit. Is it an ancient, worn out odd ball orphan?  Is it worth reinstalling if it only has a few years of life left and parts are hard to find?  

If it appears to pass muster above, it can be tested. A homeowner could test it for basic function, a tech could make a more in depth assessment. 

For a homeowner, setting it on blocks to allow airflow, connecting power and using a set of jumpers in place of the stat would allow you to determine if the fans, compressor and controls work.   I would need make and model info to tell you exact jumper connections.   I would recommend having a tech assess the unit if there is much doubt about its condition.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thanks. I will try to get make and model info and research jumper connections. It is not new, I don't think it is ancient. It was sitting for a while before being disconnected when the house was moved, then has been sitting for a while longer yet.

You can get the age of the unit here
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If it's very old the much improved efficiency of the new units will pay for themselves in electric bill savings.

we replaced a 20-year-old unit and were really pleased with the drop in the heating bill.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(11-11-2021, 03:49 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Someone I know moved a small  house for his in-laws.  He has the HVAC unit (heat pump) from before the house was moved.  He wants to test it before installing it and reinstalling all of the ductwork.   If it doesn't work he is thinking about mini split.    Is it possible to get power to it and then see if it works?  Is there a test mode?   Could he connect a thermostat to it?  would it cause problems if it doesn't have any refrigerant in it?

If he is set on a mini split now or when the package unit dies then just go with the mini split now and forget the ductwork, unless that package unit is only a couple of years old and works well.

Based on your description I assumed it was a package unit, which if that is the case there would of been no reason or need to remove the refrigerant.
He says it is a Goodman manufacturing model PHK-036-1 2.5 ton 14 SEER unit. IIRC from discussions here goodman is not the best. However he is trying to keep the costs down as much as possible.