refinish chair
So I got everything apart and sanded to remove God awful paint. But now the tenons don't fit tight. What do I use to make tight fits? Only need very small fills.

Jim
Jim
couple options include - 1. wedge or tenon wrap with veneer 2. use epoxy for it's gap filling (not good option for historically significant piece, repais of which should be reversible, but for grandma's chair decent option).
Ray
As Ray said, can you use a very thin verneer to wrap the tenon?
Then wood to wood
Veneer never entered my mind but sounds like something I'll try.

Thanks to both of you.

Jim
Jim
In addition to veneer, for very small gaps, a shaving from your hand plane wrapped around the tenon will work. If you have a wide gap and you want to use epoxy, be sure to thicken it to the consistency of peanut butter with some sanding dust. Otherwise, it will fail. (that is the voice of experience you hear).
You could split the tenon and install a thin wedge ... leave it proud of the end of the tenon and push it into the hole with a lot of hide glue ... it will spread and capture the tenon ...
(11-11-2021, 07:53 PM)Old Sawman Wrote: You could split the tenon and install a thin wedge ... leave it proud of the end of the tenon and push it into the hole with a lot of hide glue ... it will spread and capture the tenon ...

Excellent idea also. Thanks

Jim
Jim
(11-11-2021, 07:53 PM)Old Sawman Wrote: You could split the tenon and install a thin wedge ... leave it proud of the end of the tenon and push it into the hole with a lot of hide glue ... it will spread and capture the tenon ...

That's called a fox (or foxed) tenon and it ain't never coming apart.  Just make sure the tenon plus wedge are no wider than the mortise or it won't fit all the way in.   

John
Please educate me if you will. I can see how a foxed joint works if the mortise and tenon are properly sized and shaped for it. However, if the mortise is oversize, as the OP says his are, it seems to me that the wedge end will be tight but the upper end will still be loose. I wonder if that would be the best choice in this instance. It might be good in combination with the other above suggestions.
(11-12-2021, 09:57 PM)Willyou Wrote: Please educate me if you will. I can see how a foxed joint works if the mortise and tenon are properly sized and shaped for it. However, if the mortise is oversize, as the OP says his are, it seems to me that the wedge end will be tight but the upper end will still be loose. I wonder if that would be the best choice in this instance. It might be good in combination with the other above suggestions.
This will work on a few of the tenons because they will go all the through the seat where you apply the wedge when it sticks to the under side.

Clear as mud?

Jim
Jim