Supermax Drum Sander
Another vote for the tables.

I've had ongoing and seemingly unsolvable conveyor belt tracking issues. I'll give you my experience:

A couple calls to tech support and I'm on my 3rd conveyor belt, still no joy I have learned to watch it like a hawk. If the edges of the belt gets frayed, it supposedly won't track at all.

They said check the roller attached to the roller for parallel to the table. It was out a fair amount and I though that would fix it, but it did not.

If anyone has had the issue and any advice, I'm all ears.
(11-16-2021, 11:56 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Another vote for the tables.

I've had ongoing and seemingly unsolvable conveyor belt tracking issues.  I'll give you my experience:

A couple calls to tech support and I'm on my 3rd conveyor belt, still no joy I have learned to watch it like a hawk.  If the edges of the belt gets frayed, it supposedly won't track at all.

They said check the roller attached to the roller for parallel to the table.  It was out a fair amount and I though that would fix it, but it did not.

If anyone has had the issue and any advice, I'm all ears.

Do the rollers need a slight crown like a bandsaw tire or a belt sander pulley?  Maybe a line of masking tape in the middle of the roller all the way around?
(11-15-2021, 09:07 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Even with short boards it's really nice to have the extensions.  I can sand a lot more boards quicker with them.  It give me time to be both the "feeder, and the "outfeeder handler".

+1 - exactly
I have an older Performax 37x2 and I wish I had the tables as well. Yes, cutting boards are fine but longer and heavier items need a little support on the outfeed, IMO. The 37” table set isn’t cheap so I go without for now.

Well, someone beat me to the used 19-38, so I went for the new 16-32 since it was in stock at Rockler in town. I got everything put together, but didn't get a chance to align the drum or run anything through it yet. I held off on the extension tables for now. We'll see how it goes. I scored some used roller stands earlier this year, so I have four of them. We'll see. I'm open to getting them, but I've spent enough money for one day.

I noticed a few updates compared to the floor model. A couple plastic parts are now cast instead. It also has the Wixley gauge now. The Wixley on my planer has been going strong for over a decade, so that's a good sign.

I was impressed that a cheaper style stand like that went together and "fit" together well.

I did notice the manual wants you to run it on a 20A circuit, but it comes with a 15A plug with a heavy cord. It seems like they should put a 20A plug on it instead. Every 120V circuit in my shop is 20A, so no issues there. I didn't want to mess with 14ga. When I wired it.

The cord is rather short, in my opinion. I'll need a longer one for my shop, but 6' for most shops seems short.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
When I bought my 25/50 the only offered the stationary ones. I never used them much because they took up too much room and I hated taking them off. I now have the folding ones and think they are worth the money
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Okay, I am officially impressed. This is my first drum sander (besides my v-drum sander), so maybe it's easy to impress me right now.

Setup adjustments are easy, it's very smooth, and it works very well. The dust collection is good, but I think that's easy on a drum sander. I have a 2hp Laguna cyclone.

The thickness adjustment works well, and it feeds well. The intelligent where it slows down the feed is awesome. The paper change-out is easy.

I can see using it to sand some thin items that the planer doesn't handle well. I could also see using it to save some cutoffs that are too short for the planer from the firewood pile.

Some experience certainly went into the design of this, they did a good job.

The 80 grit paper that it comes with is probably a bit much for most applications. I have some 120 grit on the way.

It is kind of strange that shutting the motor off doesn't shut off the feed motor too. I think that's the only complaint I have right now. I'll get used to it.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
No experience with the supermax, I have a woodmaster.....sandpaper, usually 100 or 120. I don't bother to change grits on a workpiece unless I start with 80.
After the workpiece is flat and to thickness, l start finish sanding with the same grit that was used on the drum sander.

Good quality paper (l use Mirka) can be cleaned with a pressure washer and re-used at least twice. Just don't let it load up real bad. I throw it over the clothesline to dry.

Ed
(11-17-2021, 10:35 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: It is kind of strange that shutting the motor off doesn't shut off the feed motor too.  I think that's the only complaint I have right now. I'll get used to it.

I've had 2, and worked with 2 others (all different makes) and all of them had the belt feed switch separate. One comment about DC with a DS, they generate mountains of the finest dust particles. The kind that escape cyclone separation and wind up in the filter. With my Delta and the DC I had at the time (an Oneida) The filter clogged so quickly on long runs I installed a gauge to watch so I'd know when I had to clean the filter.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes, a drum sander is definitely a game changer in a shop.

I can't even imagine not having one!