Grooves
(11-18-2021, 01:59 PM)nuk Wrote: Most of the wooden 'plow' planes I've seen pics of were somewhat elaborate... like earlier versions of the metal body planes, with threaded rods and wooden nuts/wheels... but maybe 100-500 yr earlier, not what I'd typically think of as 'Roman' era.

I'll have to do some digging on YT for that.  Probably not something I would want to do on anything resembling a regular basis, but I wouldn't mind trying it once for experience.

I think the threaded woodie plows are newer. 18th c plows probably had wedged arms as the more common style. I have 2 like that. In some ways easier to use. That style probably dates back 1000 yrs at least.

This may get me in trouble: I don’t love plow planes like many of my ilk do. When I started woodworking, people collected plows and plated braces. In general, I find any tool with “universal” in its name is a bad tool.

I use a tool I call a drawer bottom fillister or grooving plane for all my plowing needs.

Looks like this:

https://www.jimbodetools.com/products/ma...fine-86641

I think Warren told me it’s called a fillester only because it’s adjustable fence looks like that of a moving fillester plane.

It’s a handy devil by any name exactly as Warren says. When you are cutting grooves 99% of the time you want a 1/4” or 5/16” groove within 3/4 of the edge of the board.

Mike Dunbar wrote a fun story in his awesome book “Restoring Tuning and Using classic hand tools” which I found accurate:

When shopping for a set of plow plane irons, you almost never find a set with the 1/4” iron. When shopping for old plows, they almost always come with the 1/4” iron still fitted.

(It was funnier the way he told it.)
A fillister is a rabbet plane with a fence. A common fillister has a fixed fence; a moving fillister has an adjustable fence.
Craftsman(Sargent) #79s...

And, what they are very good at...

Can also be used like a shoulder plane...at least that is what I used the plain one for....

Next time in the shop...I get to plough some 1/4" grooves...

Have it all set up, and ready to go..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Quote:This may get me in trouble: I don’t love plow planes like many of my ilk do. When I started woodworking, people collected plows and plated braces. In general, I find any tool with “universal” in its name is a bad tool.

I use a tool I call a drawer bottom fillister or grooving plane for all my plowing needs.

Adam, I prefer to use a plough plane because it has an adjustable fence. The position of the groove is not universal in the drawers I build - it depends on the height of the sides and the design. Some drawers have grooves, some (more) have slips. The slips may have as narrow as 1/8” grooves. 

I have built a bridle plough plane, with the traditional 8 blades from 1/4” up …

[Image: 116.jpg]

However, I much prefer using a Veritas Small Plow or, with very small work, a Record #043. These are quick to set up, and nimble to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
That Stanley No. 45 SW was put to work, this morning..

From Roxton Pond, QUE. CAN. 

Set up with a #12 cutter...

Be sure to use a candle to make things go a bit easier IN the groove..

Dry fitting, waiting on the 4th side to be done...

Happen to like these sort of planes, that I also have a second, older one (Type 4-5?) that I keep set up for cross grain work.  

They are NOT that hard to learn to use...if I can do...just about anyone can.   Stanley called this a 7 planes in one...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that