Router table upgrade ideas
I still use the Jessem lift and fence that came with my PM66 but moved it to the outfeed table for larger table area and better access. 

Better access matters.

Unless your setup allows you free access to the router station from the backside of the table saw, it isn't so good an idea to install the router with an Incra style fence on the table saw. Most shops I know have something behind the table saw.

Simon
    This is my current setup since I got rid of my router table. I will replace the top because it's sagging and rotate the plate 90 degrees. No router lift at this time and my fence is just a piece of stock clamped to my saw fence.  Looking for fence ideas. I may have the lift figured out.
(11-17-2021, 10:09 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The Crafstman cabinet idea is very good, but it should be arranged (not easy because of the fence system used; no problem for other simple fences) such that you dont have to operate the router station from the backside of the station, and without the hose interfering. Is there another model in which the large pocket is on the left side?

Simon

Simon,
Thought I had responded yesterday--must have hit the wrong button. I stand on the handle end of the table to operate, not on the hose side. I do have to walk to the left side of the table to lock/unlock the fence but to me, it's no big deal. My background includes a lot of machine shop work so the Incra system makes total sense to me. I've used their table saw fence for 15 years or so. Certainly to most woodworkers it's overkill.

There is no "pocket", there were two more drawers. I removed the top three drawers, then drilled new holes and reinstalled the second drawer in place of the third one. That provided vertical space for the router/lift. I fabbed a door out of 1/4" ply, painted to match and installed one of the drawer handles. I looked all over for a tool cabinet that wouldn't require modification but none were to be found. Most have a lengthwise drawer that goes side to side that makes this mod difficult if not unreasonable.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(11-17-2021, 08:23 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Shoottmx: I like the idea, but wonder about the noise level. Routers are very noisy and doesn't the metal cabinet just increase it??

Ray,
I believe it is significantly quieter than an open router. The sheet metal is quite heavy and the entire inside of the enclosure is lined with 1/4" ply for dust control. I do have to crack the door to allow make up air for the DC.

Gary

(11-17-2021, 09:12 AM)BpB123 Wrote: Great idea and execution!

Thanks for sharing

Thanks!!

GAry

(11-18-2021, 03:27 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Simon,
Thought I had responded yesterday--must have hit the wrong button. I stand on the handle end of the table to operate, not on the hose side.

Gary
If you stand on the handle end, that means you're facing the fence. How could you use a push stick to pass a narrow piece against the fence? Would it be a long reach with your hand hanging out? Imagine feeding stock on a tablesaw not standing in front of the saw. but standing side way on the left end of the saw table.

Simon
(11-18-2021, 08:14 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: If you stand on the handle end, that means you're facing the fence. How could you use a push stick to pass a narrow piece against the fence? Would it be a long reach with your hand hanging out? Imagine feeding stock on a tablesaw not standing in front of the saw. but standing side way on the left end of the saw table.

Simon

Simon,
Well, it never occurred to me to stand anywhere else, generally my right knee is at the kill switch. I use push sticks and feather boards as needed, it's comfortable for me.

Gary

Rainbow 
(11-16-2021, 12:16 PM)jeffss Wrote: So I really wanted a shaper with a power feeder. Just don't use it enough. Going to sell and upgrade my router set up. My only limitation is my router is mounted on my table saw extension table. My budget is $800. Would like a lift and quality fence. 
 My routers are 
PC 690, (2)
Dewalt DW618,
Freud FT 1700VCE
Bosch 1617 EVS. 

Ideas?
Lets get back to the original question.

First, you need a motor. IMO none of those are great for a router lift. The PC7518 is gone, I'm sure there are more, the only 3HP motors I know of are carried by Woodpecker and MLCS.

The Woodpecker full set up (lift & motor) is $700.

My setup is a MastRLift II and PowerTek motor (Jessem no longer sells) with remote speed/power switch (very nice).

The MRII is identical to an Incra. Had to do over I would get the Incra only b/c of the inserts.

I had a Triton TRA001 for a while but it developed so much backlash in the height adjustment gears, I had to eliminate it.

I had home made fences for years and they can work ok, the best ones have sliding fences. I don't think you need an elaborate fence like an Incra. I opted for the Infinity fence and like it.
(11-22-2021, 11:20 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Lets get back to the original question.

First, you need a motor.  IMO none of those are great for a router lift. The PC7518 is gone, I'm sure there are more, the only 3HP motors I know of are carried by Woodpecker and MLCS.

The Woodpecker full set up (lift & motor) is $700. 

My setup is a MastRLift II and PowerTek motor (Jessem no longer sells) with remote speed/power switch (very nice).

The MRII is identical to an Incra.  Had to do over I would get the Incra only b/c of the inserts.

I had a Triton TRA001 for a while but it developed so much backlash in the height adjustment gears, I had to eliminate it.

I had home made fences for years and they can work ok, the best ones have sliding fences.  I don't think you need an elaborate fence like an Incra.  I opted for the Infinity fence and like it.

I have two router tables (don't ask me how this happened!); one has a Woodpecker PRL (original model) and the other with an Incra Mast-R-Lift II with one of Incra's tops and their LS fence system. Both are powered by PC 7518's. I use them both. Used the Incra system last year to build 25 dovetailed drawers for built-in shop cabinets - it worked great!

The two lifts are quite different IMO. Granted the PRL is one of the older models (bought it new) but I much prefer the Mast-R-Lift and its insert system. I also like the crank system on the Master-R-Lift much better - much smoother IMO.

When it comes to customer service, from personal experience, there is no comparison between the Woodpecker and Incra companies. Incra wins, hands down. A couple of years ago I called Woodpecker and requested to speak to someone in tech support. Completely stonewalled - had no interest in helping me. OTOH I called Incra multiple times when I was building those drawers and Mr. Perry McDaniel could not have been more helpful.

I've never warmed up to the idea of having a router setup in the wing of my table saw. I have casters on both tables and can easily roll them out of the way when not in use. In fact, have made it a point to have ALL my stationary tools on casters so they can be moved to create more useable space in the shop.

Doug
(11-22-2021, 10:08 PM)Tapper Wrote: I have two router tables (don't ask me how this happened!); one has a Woodpecker PRL (original model) and the other with an Incra Mast-R-Lift II with one of Incra's tops and their LS fence system. Both are powered by PC 7518's. I use them both. Used the Incra system last year to build 25 dovetailed drawers for built-in shop cabinets - it worked great!

The two lifts are quite different IMO. Granted the PRL is one of the older models (bought it new) but I much prefer the Mast-R-Lift and its insert system. I also like the crank system on the Master-R-Lift much better - much smoother IMO.

When it comes to customer service, from personal experience, there is no comparison between the Woodpecker and Incra companies. Incra wins, hands down. A couple of years ago I called Woodpecker and requested to speak to someone in tech support. Completely stonewalled - had no interest in helping me. OTOH I called Incra multiple times when I was building those drawers and Mr. Perry McDaniel could not have been more helpful.

I've never warmed up to the idea of having a router setup in the wing of my table saw. I have casters on both tables and can easily roll them out of the way when not in use. In fact, have made it a point to have ALL my stationary tools on casters so they can be moved to create more useable space in the shop.

Doug
I'm rethinking redoing the saw table wing. I freed up some floor space so I may go with a router table. Since the lift will come with a plate I will leave what I have alone. No fence for that set up. I have a Mast R Lift II coming and looking at the Infinity fence for my new setup. Now you have me thinking new router.