Allergic to Ash?
IIRC, it was ash that was making my nose run when my sister was sanding her bowls on the lathe. Other woods have not done that to me (yet). The runny nose went away after I got away from that part of the shop and rinsed out my mustache and nose hairs (amazing how much that helps with dust and with tobacco smoke).

In full disclosure, that wood that she was sanding was very dry and she generated a lot of dust. It may have been just reaction to fine dust that would have happened with any dust source.

Thinking about your statement that this was happening when you were using drawknives and spokeshaves. I would not expect dust from either of those processes. If the wood is very green, then you may be squeezing sap out of the wood as a mist. That mist could irritate either your eyes or nose. You do want to figure out what is going on and stop your body's reaction before it triggers a stronger response.

I would suggest trying a faceshield and see if that makes a difference. Also, notice if the faceshield gets any build up on the outside.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Tom,

There is a test for allergies -- 'skin prick test'.
Wikipedia article about the test has an image of samples' kit (a box with lots of blue handles).
If you look closely you will notice 'Ash' as one of the 'possibilities' (!)

You might consider such test but as others said, first ensure there is no dust in the shop.
Otherwise consider taking a test.
I wish you can continue using the trunk material while keeping good health.

Regards.