Moving A House
A friend is moving a house, or at least having it moved.  A couple weeks ago the masons finished the foundation.  He called the moving company 2 weeks ago to schedule getting the house lowered.  They said they could either start today or "maybe sometime in December" so he had to scramble to get sill plates down, get some beams fabricated and the like.  I spent a good part of my week off last week working on the sill plates.  Among the other challenges was dealing with a floor system at 3 different levels. Whatever the old foundation was, it wasn't a full perimeter.   One section of the house is 2x10 bands with 2x8 floor joists.  Most of the rest is 2x8s on the band. and 2x6 joists.  For some reason one other section is all 2x6s even on the bands, so that section got 2x6s screwed to the bottom of the bands to bring them to level with the 2x8s, then everything except where the 2x10s are got treated 2x8 sill plates bolted down, then 2x6s on top of that to level it all out with the 2x10s.   

We also had to reroute some wiring that was routed under a band joist and not through it, and cut out some of the existing drains  that would hit the foundation.    After the house is down, we'll assemble the beams.  I told him go ahead and cut all the 2x10s to length, but don't try to build the beam first. It will be a lot easier to put the 2x10s on the piers and assemble things in place.

Not fun....l've dug basements under houses that were lifted, 4 or 5 of them over the years.
Getting things the correct height would not be easy with the house not hanging over the foundation.

Ed
(11-23-2021, 09:38 AM)crokett™ Wrote: A friend is moving a house, or at least having it moved.  A couple weeks ago the masons finished the foundation.  He called the moving company 2 weeks ago to schedule getting the house lowered.  They said they could either start today or "maybe sometime in December" so he had to scramble to get sill plates down, get some beams fabricated and the like.  I spent a good part of my week off last week working on the sill plates.  Among the other challenges was dealing with a floor system at 3 different levels. Whatever the old foundation was, it wasn't a full perimeter.   One section of the house is 2x10 bands with 2x8 floor joists.  Most of the rest is 2x8s on the band. and 2x6 joists.  For some reason one other section is all 2x6s even on the bands, so that section got 2x6s screwed to the bottom of the bands to bring them to level with the 2x8s, then everything except where the 2x10s are got treated 2x8 sill plates bolted down, then 2x6s on top of that to level it all out with the 2x10s.   

We also had to reroute some wiring that was routed under a band joist and not through it, and cut out some of the existing drains  that would hit the foundation.    After the house is down, we'll assemble the beams.  I told him go ahead and cut all the 2x10s to length, but don't try to build the beam first. It will be a lot easier to put the 2x10s on the piers and assemble things in place.

I had my placed picked up to allow for replacing the foundation no part of it was fun.  I think digging the holes for the cribbing was the worst of it but removing the fireplace from the center of the house was no party.  I guess they were both prep for removing the failed foundation and digging the for the new one
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.