painting vinyl window trim
When we built our house last year SWMBO decided on white windows, med brown vinyl siding and tan accent siding.

Now she's thinking the white is a little glaring in contrast to the rest of the house.

Is there a good paint for painting vinyl trim?  I'd like to tone it down and match the oak door and columns I've made for the front entrance.

I figure a "trim sprayer" and lots of tape would work best.

Anyone had any good luck? 
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
No first hand experience but I recently saw a defying Ask This Old house about painting vinyl siding. Good latex house paint, wash the siding, let dry for a day or two.

You tube should have it

Interesting -- I was thinking some kind of car paint. Will check Youtube. Thanks
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I would think that vinyl trim needs the kind of paint that goes over plastic.

The paint definitely needs to flex on vinyl. I would scuff sand, prime, topcoat. I’d also test my process on similar scrap vinyl before committing.

(11-24-2021, 11:31 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Interesting -- I was thinking some kind of car paint.  Will check Youtube.  Thanks

The cost would be prohibitive.

No matter what paint you choose, I would seriously consider scuffing the vinyl with Scotch Brite and then use a good adhesion promoter like BullDog prior to your primer. Them paint with exterior house paint.

Vinyl doesn't hold paint well so the scuffing and adhesion promoter is important. I'd stick with latex because it will expand and contract with the vinyl.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-23-2021, 12:06 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: When we built our house last year SWMBO decided on white windows, med brown vinyl siding and tan accent siding.

Now she's thinking the white is a little glaring in contrast to the rest of the house.

Is there a good paint for painting vinyl trim?  I'd like to tone it down and match the oak door and columns I've made for the front entrance.

I figure a "trim sprayer" and lots of tape would work best.

Anyone had any good luck? 
Confused

At Walmart and others, the spray can by Krylon,  made for plastic, no priming. I have used it on Poly type outdoor  furniture and it
 works great.   Five years now sitting outdoors with zero issues.
Regards,
Bill b
Most of the trim manufacturers provide information on how to paint their trim.

This article is about how to paint vinyl windows. 

I was surprised to learn that painting the windows can void guarantees. 

And painting the windows with a dark color can cause too much heat absorption and can actually cause the glass to crack. 

https://dengarden.com/home-improvement/T...yl-Windows

I painted some vinyl interior trim for a bathroom and they called for 100% acrylic paint or 100% acrylic primer.    I have had good adhesion with the 100% acrylic primer.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.