What can I use over shellac to darken?
Years ago I built several sanded plywood panels for mounting small hand tools. I just built another one and used what I though I had used in the past, shellac. 
The color is completely different. Now, I am guessing that I had used linseed oil in the past.

Can I apply linseed over shellac, will it darken the wood somewhat?

If it is too late for linseed oil, Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, a rookie.
You won't be happy with the results of applying linseed oil over the top of the shellac, it won't do what you want, and it may make a sticky mess. I think I would get some more shellac, and then add some dye to make it darker and apply that. It will take some experimentation to get them to match. Transtint dye will work well, adn there may be some others.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-27-2021, 06:35 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You won't be happy with the results of applying linseed oil over the top of the shellac, it won't do what you want, and it may make a sticky mess. I think I would get some more shellac, and then add some dye to make it darker and apply that. It will take some experimentation to get them to match. Transtint dye will work well, adn there may be some others.

+ 1 on the dye.    You can apply the shellac/dye mix on a piece of glass set on top of the new wood to see how the color will work.    Just a little dye at a time, it will not take a lot.
Remember to experiment on scrap rather than the project.   Roly
(11-27-2021, 06:35 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You won't be happy with the results of applying linseed oil over the top of the shellac, it won't do what you want, and it may make a sticky mess. I think I would get some more shellac, and then add some dye to make it darker and apply that. It will take some experimentation to get them to match. Transtint dye will work well, adn there may be some others.
Thanks for preventing me from making a serious mistake. Creating the correct color with dye may be above my experience level at the point. I plan to start over.
(12-05-2021, 01:49 PM)RBohn Wrote: Thanks for preventing me from making a serious mistake. Creating the correct color with dye may be above my experience level at the point. I plan to start over.

None of us learned until we tried.  So, try it.  Look at Transtint's color chart and pick two or three that are close to the color you need to match.  Mix a few drops of one in an ounce of Sealcoat shellac and put it on the glass, as Roly suggested.  Hold it up over the piece you are trying to match.  Adjust the concentration with the dye or with the one of the others, or a combination of two, until you get the color right.  It's not that hard as long as you are patient and critical and keep good notes of how many drops per ounce you added.  When you're done, you will have learned and new and very useful skill. 

John