Walnut pin holes, how to fill?
I am building a waterfall coffee table for my granddaughter. I am at the finish sanding stage. I notice several pin holes that I want to fill. I think they are the center of a branch or limb. What to fill them with..........super glue? or TimberMate ebony or?   The finish will be Arm-R-Seal satin.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Epoxy? Can be tinted, sanded, etc. If just pinholes it won't show much on walnut I wouldn't think.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I've had good luck with those by first applying a couple of coats of ARS and then filling the holes with TimberMate in Walnut color, then the last couple of coats of ARS.  The reason to apply a coat or two of ARS first is to seal the grain so the TimberMate doesn't get into it when you fill the hole.  If it does it will look different than the unfilled area.  

When you apply the TimberMate, after it's completely dry, just wipe it with a damp paper towel to remove any excess concentrating on the area around the hole to make sure none remains down in the grain.  

John

Edit: Corrected error.
I never thought about filling after the seal coat is applied. That will keep the filler into the area around the pin hole. Thanks I will try that. I have never done any epoxy touch up, Maybe I will do some each way, I have about 10 to fill.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I usually use 2 part epoxy with with walnut sanding dust mixed in. The dust adds some matching coloring to the filling and it looks less shiny/plastic when top coated. HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Fine walnut sanding dust made into a paste with shellac, lacquer, or sanding sealer. Overfill a tad and sand back smooth. I usually do it after 150 or 180 grits then finish sand with 220. I like to use a putty knife.

(11-27-2021, 09:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've had good luck with those by first applying a couple of coats of ARS and then filling the holes with TimberMate in Walnut color, then the last couple of coats of ARS.  The reason to apply a coat or two of ARS first is to seal the grain so the TimberMate doesn't get into it when you fill the hole.  If it does it will look different than the unfilled area.  

When you apply the ARS, after it's completely dry, just wipe it with a damp paper towel to remove any excess concentrating on the area around the hole to make sure none remains down in the grain.  

John

+1  Use this method otherwise you will get a haze where the Timbermate was sanded off.    It also gives you a good idea of what the color of the piece will be after the finish is on, which is what you want to match.       It is hard to get your head around putting finish on before filling but it works great.   Roly
Branches do not leave pin holes without also leaving a knot.

If the pin holes are caused by borers, what is the chance that there are still live borers in the wood?

Was the wood air dried or kiln dried?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
This week I watched a guy on youtube that makes $8000 live edge tables. For pin holes he just used CA glue (superglue) followed by a spritz of accelerator.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.