Simple beginner sharpening
Hi:

This is likely to set off a debate, but here goes.

I want to gift a power tool woodworker with a simple, foolproof way to sharpen planes and chisels.  I already gave him an Eclipse side clamp guide.  So the question is what sharpening media to use? Would a two-sided diamond stone be a good choice - which one?  Anyone have any experience with the 3x8 Spyderco CBN benchstone?  Budget for startup is $100 unless it needs to be more.

Thanks and happy holidays to all,
David
Have him watch this LN video about modifying the eclipse knockoff.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojzzCXq5ook

I'm an oilstone guy, so I'd recommend this:  https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norto...6C114.aspx
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I do not think you can get to really sharp for $100. If I am using diamond, then I use 1200, 4000, and 8000 grit stones + strop. If I am using water stones, I use 1000, 6000, 13000. That is just the polishing stones. I have stones ranging from 100 grit to 600 for grinding and bevel repair. I am leary about combination diamond stones - stone flatness being among the issues.

A 1200 grit stone + strop will handle most sharpening needs with extra time on the strop. Strops can be MDF, hardwood, or leather. A stone + shining compound would get him there.

YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Not knowing if your friend will take to hand tools, I'd recommend Scary Sharp. It's the least amount of investment and you can get very sharp tools using this method. Aside from the sandpaper, all you really need is a nice, flat surface. Given he's a power tool user, a jointer bed or the table saw top can suffice. If you want to invest more, buy him a flat granite plate. MDF can also suffice. Google Scary Sharp and you'll find multiple demos and recommendations for abrasives. I don't think there's a 2-sided stone of any kind that will meet the needs of any woodworker. To me, you need at least 3 grits to establish a new bevel and progress to "sharp." If it's stones, that would be 1000 / 3000 / 8000. If sandpaper, 400 / 800 / 1000. I'd also recommend a good leather strop with stropping compound. The strop will get you a superfine edge and IMO, it's essential no matter what sharpening method you use.

One other thing to consider is what kind of steel your friend will be sharpening. Oil stones work fine for W1 or O1 steel, but the more exotic tool steels like A2, D2, and PM-V11 benefit from more aggressive abrasives like some waterstones (e.g. Sigma, Norton, and Shapton).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I’d recommend scary sharp method as well. Cheap and easy with excellent results.

(11-28-2021, 02:26 PM)matzner Wrote: Hi:

This is likely to set off a debate, but here goes.

I want to gift a power tool woodworker with a simple, foolproof way to sharpen planes and chisels.  I already gave him an Eclipse side clamp guide.  So the question is what sharpening media to use? Would a two-sided diamond stone be a good choice - which one?  Anyone have any experience with the 3x8 Spyderco CBN benchstone?  Budget for startup is $100 unless it needs to be more.

Thanks and happy holidays to all,
David

Given the budget constraint, as well as the skill status of the end user, I also recommend the "scary sharp" method.
Don't know why it did not occur to me, but for the budget, I have to agree with Alan's recommendation for sandpaper.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Whatever you offer, I would include lots of hands on instruction.
If you decide on sandpaper, check around with local kitchen counter shops for a scrap of granite for your sandpaper base.  Generally ground pretty darned flat, and they could probably shape it for you so it's pretty for under $100.

He may be unimpressed by such a gift; find the online literature on scary sharp and include a little home-made pamphlet on it.
Thanks all for taking the time to opine.  Scary sharp it is!  With instruction(s).

Happy Merry,
DM