Hide Glue Pot
As I continue down this hand tool slippery slope, I want to start using hide glue to the extent possible.  Been using Old Brown, but would like to start rolling my own.

I can't find any glue pots.  Yes I can pick up a crock pot, but I'd like to do it correctly.  Lee Valley has a nice one, but they are out of stock.  I have tried all the other sources I can think of but I can't find any.

Anyone know of a source?

TIA
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(11-29-2021, 10:17 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: As I continue down this hand tool slippery slope, I want to start using hide glue to the extent possible.  Been using Old Brown, but would like to start rolling my own.

I can't find any glue pots.  Yes I can pick up a crock pot, but I'd like to do it correctly.  Lee Valley has a nice one, but they are out of stock.  I have tried all the other sources I can think of but I can't find any.

Anyone know of a source?

TIA

The Hold-Heet branded ones were sold through Woodcraft, Tools for Working Wood and several other catalog suppliers. 
However it appears Hold-Heet's new-stock has been depleted. Tried the phone number in the Thomas Register and it didn't go through. The are in Chicago and with a little more work I supposed I could have confirmed the phone number.

They do show up on eBay but as you say, new stock seems to be unavailable.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I have one, hardly used. PM me an offer.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-29-2021, 10:17 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Lee Valley has a nice one, but they are out of stock. 

Apparently, they have them available in many stores - click the "check availability in stores" link.  In the past, on two occasions I needed something not available online, and LV customer service went above and beyond and had a retail store send one to the distribution center in upstate NY where they shipped to me.  So if nothing else works out . . . . give it a try.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use a cast iron double boiler I picked up t a flea market for $15. I heat it with an electric burner my wife bought for me at Walmart.

Might find one on eBay. One thing I like about my set up is the glue is often not close to my bench. When I need glue, I grab the whole pot, which stays hot off the burner for quite a while.

Hot glue is easy and forgiving. Enjoy it.
I used the old babybottle warmer and a jam glas.

Cheers
Pedder
(11-29-2021, 10:17 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: As I continue down this hand tool slippery slope, I want to start using hide glue to the extent possible.  Been using Old Brown, but would like to start rolling my own.

Anyone know of a source?

TIA

What is the problem with a crock pot? Been using hide glue for almost 60 years. 20+ years ago I bought a $10.00 small crock pot at Target. No switch or thermostat control, on & off by pulling the plug. I removed the glass top and replaced it with a piece of MDF with a notch for the brush.
I use a candy thermometer for the thermostat. The plug is in a switchable outlet. 
mike
Mike, sorry for the stupid question.

You don’t put the glue directly in the crock pot, right? Fill the crock pot with water and put the glue in a jar in the water?

You need to keep the jar off the bottom of the crockpot, right?

People say “crockpot” but it’s more complicated than that, isn’t it?
(11-30-2021, 08:02 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Mike, sorry for the stupid question.

You don’t put the glue directly in the crock pot, right? Fill the crock pot with water and put the glue in a jar in the water?

You need to keep the jar off the bottom of the crockpot, right?

People say “crockpot” but it’s more complicated than that, isn’t it?

That's my understanding, you use the crock pot as a double boiler.  I think you can do the same with a hold heet pot as well
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(12-01-2021, 09:23 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: That's my understanding, you use the crock pot as a double boiler.  I think you can do the same with a hold heet pot as well

Yes. While you can put the glue in the H-H pot, for Joe Weekend it is too much glue volume. A bit slower but use a small jar in the H-H just like you would in the crock pot. You can make up the volume in the H-H pot with water to get a more efficient transfer of the heat.

Prior to getting a H-H I was using a cheap Sunbeam electric kettle that could be left on and had a thermostat dial. Had to experiment a bit but found the setting that worked for 140F. Also, left a few glass marbles in the bottom so that when I put in the little jar (small jelly jar worked well) it wouldn't rest directly on the heating element. Maybe it mattered, maybe it didn't. 

The H-H doesn't really have the problem of resting a jar on the heating element as I believe it heats from below through the air gap between the inner and outer pots.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin