3 way switch
(11-30-2021, 09:46 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Something strange : this evening I flipped the middle switch (double Pole) and it turn the lights on, Then I went to other 2 switches and able to turn off and turn on . 
Then I went and flipped the middle switch , it turn the light off, but then I could not use other 2 switches to turn on and off
So it looks like the problem is middle switch, I replaced that switch with other 2 switches couple of days ago.
Once I get some more time in couple of days I will do some more trouble shooting. I think the problem may be a switch.

You should not have a double pole in that switch circuit. There could have been a loose connection, one of the switches failed, or both. But if you replaced the 4-way with a double pole it explains exactly how they currently function. A double pole is basically two single pole switches with one toggle that switches both on or off. A 3-way is a single pole double throw; it always connects a common terminal to one of the two remaining terminals, that in this application we call "travelers".  Those have to be connected to another 3-way. If you install both 3-ways in the same orientation, if both are up or both are down, the light will be on. if they're different, the light is off. You can cut those two "travelers" anywhere between the two 3-way's and install a 4-way.  The four terminals make contact for both travelers either straight thru or diagonally; basically just swapping the connections on the other 3-way. You can install as many 4-way's as you like between the 3-way's because one of the two travelers will always be hot. A double pole will only create an open or closed connection for the travelers, which is why it will never work.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(11-30-2021, 11:03 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: You should not have a double pole in that switch circuit. There could have been a loose connection, one of the switches failed, or both. But if you replaced the 4-way with a double pole it explains exactly how they currently function. A double pole is basically two single pole switches with one toggle that switches both on or off. A 3-way is a single pole double throw; it always connects a common terminal to one of the two remaining terminals, that in this application we call "travelers".  Those have to be connected to another 3-way. If you install both 3-ways in the same orientation, if both are up or both are down, the light will be on. if they're different, the light is off. You can cut those two "travelers" anywhere between the two 3-way's and install a 4-way.  The four terminals make contact for both travelers either straight thru or diagonally; basically just swapping the connections on the other 3-way. You can install as many 4-way's as you like between the 3-way's because one of the two travelers will always be hot. A double pole will only create an open or closed connection for the travelers, which is why it will never work.

Does the center switch have on and off written on it??  If so that is a double pole switch and not the one you want. A 4 way does not have on and off written on it. Start there.
John T.
I have only had to wire up a 4 way switch from scratch once.  It was before the internet and youtube I started to think candles would be a good option
Laugh
Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-29-2021, 03:26 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Please help
I have this 3 way switch set up, work fine since I moved in this house 5 years ago
Few days ago it stopped working

I did some trouble shouting and did not find anything wrong, The light fixture is not getting the power when I turn the power on at the switch
there are 3 switches on this circuit, 2 are 3 ways switches one is double pole switch.

Enclosed is schematic, based on what I found so far.  may be is a broken wire.
Let me know what to look far.

Thank you very much for all the info.
It is solved, I changed the middle switch with real 4 way switch and everything is working fine.
Thumbs Up 
(12-04-2021, 09:25 AM)Jack01 Wrote: Thank you very much for all the info.
It is solved, I changed the middle switch with real 4 way switch and everything is working fine.

[Image: thumbsup.png]  Great     Roly
(12-04-2021, 09:25 AM)Jack01 Wrote: Thank you very much for all the info.

Well there ya go Great job
Big Grin
south vietnam war collage