twisted live edge for desk top
I have nice live edge top slab I was hoping to use for a top for a computer desk but it has a pretty severe twist.  I didn't take a measurement but I'm guessing one edge is up 1.25" when placed on a flat surface.  Is this salvageable?  My initial thought was to weigh it down for a few days and get it a little more flat, put c-channels on the bottom, then put some large fasteners to the base.  Will that be enough or should I not bother and just find a better piece for the top?
I'm sure it's not the answer you want to hear, but I'm afraid your slab probably isn't desktop material. That sounds like a substantial twist. C-channels are great for helping prevent cupping in an already flat piece but probably wouldn't succeed taking a twist out. Maybe some, but not all of it. How thick is the slab? Milling out the twist is really the best way to go. There are some great router setups for flattening slabs.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(11-29-2021, 08:06 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I'm sure it's not the answer you want to hear, but I'm afraid your slab probably isn't desktop material. That sounds like a substantial twist. C-channels are great for helping prevent cupping in an already flat piece but probably wouldn't succeed taking a twist out. Maybe some, but not all of it. How thick is the slab? Milling out the twist is really the best way to go. There are some great router setups for flattening slabs.

Ok Thanks for the reply and what I assumed but was hoping someone had a brilliant idea I didn't think of.  It's only 8/4 and I really want the top to be close to that thickness.  Oh well.
It happens to the best of us. Its why you always overbuy lumber for a project. What seems like a perfectly good board may express itself once it's cut into pieces. If milling the bow or twist out makes the board to thin, well then it back to the lumber pile for another one.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/