Breadboard End with Dominos
(12-03-2021, 11:02 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks Doug.  I didn't invent anything new; it's the way traditional breadboard ends have always been done.  That stub tenon keeps the field and end in alignment over the entire width of the top and helps keep it flat.  If you just use tenons the top could still warp in between the tenons.  Time has proven the guys who developed this stuff knew what they were doing.  

John

Yep, well familiar with the stub tenon. IMO it's the ONLY way to keep the two surfaces parallel and generally flush the entire length when doing a breadboard end, as well as adding proper support to the BB end with the three longer tenons in your example. This technique has been around a very long time; chronicled in many mainline woodworking publications and magazines. Your photos lay it out perfectly IMO.

Doug
(12-01-2021, 01:40 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That's such a small piece that I'm sure the Dominos will be more than sufficient.  And now that you've seen how easy it is to make loose tenons why would you buy Dominos again?  

The one thing missing on your breadboard end is the stub tenon.  It keeps the two piece in alignment from edge to edge, not just where the tenons are.  It also provides for a daylight free appearance in case the end pulls away a little.  It's just really hard to beat how breadboard ends were designed.  And if you make them this way you don't have to figure out how to route a deep mortise in the end of the field.  

[Image: AM-JKLX-Vstx0yzSdL-iL4mJokzTA8x8kKLXtfbC...authuser=0]

Only in the side of the breadboard end, for which I have the perfect machine, but a router and edge guide will work fine, too.

[Image: AM-JKLW17fnED6vqSrzaIaZ7GO5zpcU6D6fuxUuX...authuser=0]

[Image: AM-JKLW_2LWA3XmKnC5o3ENaqJ5B4eJWP2oXUcqC...authuser=0]

[Image: AM-JKLVH3FhlkBdGzhqJ5hIil85xyLfa-lZ3gkUu...authuser=0]

John

Slick set up John!  Makes for some really neat work.  Looking forward to watching the progress on this project.