L-N workbench question
Question about Lie-Nielsen workbench. Recent move, I told movers not to life it by the vises, but I think they did. The vises are still flush with the top and tighten up solid, but when the jaws are open, they both wobble if I try to move them. I don't remember if they had slop or not before the move. Is that normal?

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
On page 12 of the LN installation instructions, they show you how to eliminate play in the end vise. Still thinking about what could have happened to front vise: that is very securely attached to bench. To answer your question, the front vise has no slop, and the tail vise should have no slop, assuming those set screws are adjusted correctly.

LN Vise Installation Instructions
I can't speak to the end vise as I don't have one; but, the front vise (18" twin-screw) does seem to require some adjustment seasonally to keep the chop perfectly parallel to the bench top.  I just loosen and adjust the jam nut as needed.  When I moved my bench a couple of years ago, I took the vises 
off and disassembled the legs.  The only part that needed a two-man lift was the top.  I have a feeling that there are some nice benches out there that won't see a new home because they are assembled with with permanenet joinery or are just too big to move out of a basement.... Like building a boat in a basement.
Laugh
(12-01-2021, 08:03 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: On page 12 of the LN installation instructions, they show you how to eliminate play in the end vise. Still thinking about what could have happened to front vise: that is very securely attached to bench. To answer your question, the front vise has no slop, and the tail vise should have no slop, assuming those set screws are adjusted correctly.

LN Vise Installation Instructions

Thank you! I had not known about the set screws, designed specifically for eliminating slop. That was an easy adjustment. 

I'm not sure why the face vise wiggles a little when it is open. But it's not much, and probably not worth worrying about. I think.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site