Gluing wood to brass
I am making an O-gauge brass railcar from a 1970s kit I got for cheap on ebay, and it is way beyond my meager modelling skills.  The kit consists of wide strips of etched brass that need to be cut out (in places) and soldered together.

In order to make it easier to cut out the windows and other openings on my scroll saw, and to facilitate assembly, I am trying to back the brass strips with corresponding 1/8" thick strips of basswood.

What is the best way to adhere the two together?

I tried 3M SprayMount, but the vibration from the scroll saw breaks the bond.

Would contact cement work?

I am leery about using epoxy, because I'd like to get a thin film that covers the whole surface, and my epoxy (JB Weld) is too thick to spread evenly.
I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it, but here's some double coated tape that will hold them together. It even sticks to UHMW!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
CA glue will work great, just keep your fingers out of it have some acetone at the ready.
Laugh
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(12-01-2021, 09:28 AM)Woodshop Wrote: CA glue will work great, just keep your fingers out of it have some acetone at the ready.
Laugh

Thanks -- I'll give that a shot
(12-01-2021, 09:25 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it, but here's some double coated tape that will hold them together. It even sticks to UHMW!

Or hot glue?
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-01-2021, 09:04 AM)Ridgeway Wrote: I am making an O-gauge brass railcar from a 1970s kit I got for cheap on ebay, and it is way beyond my meager modelling skills.  The kit consists of wide strips of etched brass that need to be cut out (in places) and soldered together.

In order to make it easier to cut out the windows and other openings on my scroll saw, and to facilitate assembly, I am trying to back the brass strips with corresponding 1/8" thick strips of basswood.

What is the best way to adhere the two together?

I tried 3M SprayMount, but the vibration from the scroll saw breaks the bond.

Would contact cement work?

I am leery about using epoxy, because I'd like to get a thin film that covers the whole surface, and my epoxy (JB Weld) is too thick to spread evenly.
My choice for fastening template to material to be cut is double-sided tape. Carpet tape is probably a bit stronger than really needed for your application but it for sure will hold the basswood to the brass for you.