Mahogany dresser
This has been a long time coming but it's finally done. This is the second of two Harvey Ellis 9-drawer chests that I built for my kids. This one takes some serious liberties with the design but the other one is true to the original plans. This one, for my daughter, was more challenging with the veneered doors and all. Can you believe that? My daughter's request was more challenging than my son's...

How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(12-01-2021, 01:22 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: This has been a long time coming but it's finally done. This is the second of two Harvey Ellis 9-drawer chests that I built for my kids. This one takes some serious liberties with the design but the other one is true to the original plans. This one, for my daughter, was more challenging with the veneered doors and all. Can you believe that? My daughter's request was more challenging than my son's...

My daughter went through a Fine Woodworking design book (best of the best kind of stuff) last week to get some ideas of what she wanted. Most if not all are beyond my skill level. That doesn't surprise me at all.

Nice work! I love the veneer. Looks like the finished product was worth the hassle.
My daughter was browsing the Craftsman furniture book by Lang and settled in on the Men's wardobe. I've wanted to do the dresser for years so we compromised and put doors on the dresser. It's not that I didn't want to build the wardrobe. Since I was already settled on a dresser, I wanted to streamline things and finish both around the same time.

The one for your daughter is outstanding.  I love the veneer; well worth the extra work.  What wood did you use in the one for your son?  That one's a little wild for my liking.  

John
(12-01-2021, 05:49 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The one for your daughter is outstanding.  I love the veneer; well worth the extra work.  What wood did you use in the one for your son?  That one's a little wild for my liking.  

John

I agree about the veneer. Once I overcame the learning curve, veneering panels this size is a breeze. My son's dresser is made of green ash. It is a "wild" wood by any standards, but compared to the mahogany, it's not a fair comparison. It seems pretty plain and pale while I was working it but a coat of BLO revealed some figure and depth that I wasn't expecting.

Very nice work! 
Yes
Very nice. Now we know what the crotch was for
(12-03-2021, 10:10 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Very nice. Now we know what the crotch was for

Yep, and it (the crotch) turned out very nice...as well as the other parts. Well done.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Yes, this is the project that I needed the veneering advice for. Thanks again for everyone's help with it. As I said in the other thread, the glue-up went well and they are solid panels. Next time I do some veneer like this, I'll need to learn a little more about finishing it. There are some surface imperfections in the veneer that showed up in the finish that I'd like to have dealt with. Not a deal-breaker but something to address in my pursuit of perfection.

First class skill on display!