Help With a Jet 1220 Lathe
I recently purchased a barely used Jet 1220VS Lathe and need a little help! 

The point has been removed from the live center and the live center is stuck in the headstock...please let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions as to how to remove it!?

Thanks in advance, Tim C.

Attached Files Image(s)

you need the knockout rod, it slides in the other end of the spindle
here is a manual
https://content.jettools.com/assets/manu...man_EN.pdf
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(12-02-2021, 03:55 PM)Woodshop Wrote: you need the knockout rod, it slides in the other end of the spindle
here is a manual
https://content.jettools.com/assets/manu...man_EN.pdf

if you do not have a knock out rod you can take a 3/8" iron rod about 14" long and put a knob on the end.    With the point gone a normal knock out rod will just go thru the end of the live center.

also wondering why the live center is in the head stock
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-02-2021, 10:46 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: if you do not have a knock out rod you can take a 3/8" iron rod about 14" long and put a knob on the end.    With the point gone a normal knock out rod will just go thru the end of the live center.

also wondering why the live center is in the head stock

This^^^^

A brass rod that size would work also.

The trick with a knockout rod is to not try to use it to push the center out. Also, do not insert it and then try to hit the end with your hand. That will hurt. DAMHIKT

One takes the knob on the end in hand and uses the knockout rod like a battering ram. Put you other hand loosely over the center to catch it when it comes loose. That way you do not have to find it on the floor.

If this is just a one-time use, you can use the bare rod and a medium weight hammer. Rap the rod sharply rather than trying to kill it.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
An appropriate length of rebar would do the trick.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Hello Everyone,

My thanks go out to a each of you for advise... I asked the same question about the live center being in the headstock?!! Unfortunately, I found the Lathe at an estate sale and the original owner’s family had no knowledge of woodturning or lathes...

I had already tried using the knockout rod, but with the point gone it had nothing to bite on! I really appreciate all of your knowledge, expertise and willingness to help...I’ll let you know how things work out!

Thanks Again, Tim C.
Put a gear puller around the live center and tighten enough so it stays close. Now hit the knock rod on the center point of the gear puller. May have to use tiewrap to hold jaws together or tie wire. A little Mcgiver will do it.
John T.
(12-04-2021, 02:38 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Put a gear puller around the live center and tighten enough so it stays close. Now hit the knock rod on the center point of the gear puller. May have to use tiewrap to hold jaws together or tie wire. A little Mcgiver will do it.

Gear puller, eh?  How about 2X4 pieces, one tapered, tap down between the rear of the center and the body of the headstock.  Works.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Do you guys think a good penetrating oil would help? Might have been in storage a while.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
My knockout rod is a piece of 3/8" square mild steel with a knob I turned epoxied onto the end. It works great.