Taytools Trying to Trademark "Moxon Vise"
(12-04-2021, 05:27 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Equally bad are blatant knock-offs of tools, such as copies of Woodpecker Tools.  Many say Woodpecker are over priced, but the development and manufacturing  cost warrant the price, when you consider the limited market.  Enter off-shore, nearly exact copies, for a fraction of the WP price.

One of the worst offenders is an online merchant starting with the letter B that carries tools and accessories at 50% to 90% less than their genuine brands. Tons of woodworkers seem to have no problem buying from this vendor at all. Some say that's a necessary evil of global trade.

Simon
I am surprised they didn't decide to also trademark "workbench" or "table saw."
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm going to trademark SCREWdriver since that's what they are trying to do! (pun intended)
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
(12-05-2021, 10:55 AM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: I'm going to trademark SCREWdriver since that's what they are trying to do! (pun intended)

A whole bunch of years ago, I read an article in Popular Mechanics that told the story of a company that invented a swivel handle for a wheelbarrow.  They got a patent for it, and in the process were given a patent on the wheelbarrow itself.  An appeal revoked the wheelbarrow patent because the term and the device had been in the public domain for more than a hundred years.
(12-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: One of the worst offenders is an online merchant starting with the letter B that carries tools and accessories at 50% to 90% less than their genuine brands. Tons of woodworkers seem to have no problem buying from this vendor at all. Some say that's a necessary evil of global trade.

Simon

What "b" would that be????
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Think a big bang!

Simon
“Bang” is a “good” guess.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-05-2021, 08:17 PM)Tony Z Wrote: “Bang” is a “good” guess.

Looks like a re-branded AliExpress.com.  I've got some good quality things off of there.  I did order a Woodpecker's knock-off tool but what was delivered what a shoddy piece of cheap plastic and Chinesium.  Happily, AliExpress has a good buyer protection mechanism and refunded my money.

Back on topic, it seems incredible that a company would try to trademark some of those terms.  What poor judgement!
It's all wood.
Oh, bang.... just googled, never heard of them. Looks like a lot of cheap stuff, life is too short for chitty tools.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-04-2021, 12:29 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: It is all such nonsense. One cannot trademark something that has been around a long time before you came along.

One would think, but the University of Kentucky is always suing over the use of the word Kentucky claiming they have it trademarked.  They even sued the state itself at one point.