stovetop with melted plastic
The standard plastic cover for microwave cooking fell on a heated stove top.

Can't get the melted plastic off [tried single razor blade (which USUALLY cleans everything)].

Is it there forever???
Can you just warm the plastic up and then try the razor blade?  

Wire brush on drill?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
is this a glass top?

I wouldn't wire brush that.  Is it on a heating element?  Turn on low and try scraping then.  If that doesn't work...open the windows and burn it off?  Not on the element, heat gun?
Try a liberal application of Google.
VH07V  
ahhhh....."a liberal application of GOOGLE"....why didn't I think of that!!  LOL!

it's a glass top and the "scars" are on the heating element.

the first thing I tried:  warm the element and apply the razor blade.  wish it worked, but no.

"burn it off"....what tool????

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!
(12-05-2021, 08:12 AM)varkpilot Wrote: ...

"burn it off"....what tool????

The burner on high.

It will certainly leave a black mark, but I suspect it will make the burner usable for the long term.

Have you tried soft scrub and a green scotch pad?  Let It
sit there and soak for a while...just before it dries out.
Try goo-gone
……..
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Acetone to dissolve it off?
I think those lids are made from polypropylene.  Note that the chemicals need to be at an "elevated" temperature.  But they don't specify what that temperature is.

This from Google:

What solvent will dissolve polypropylene?

xylene

What Chemicals are Compatible with Polypropylene? At elevated temperature, polypropylene can be dissolved in nonpolar solvents such as xylene, tetralin and decalin.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If it's PE plastic, 90% Denatured alcohol will break the bond. It kinda works the same way soap works cleaning odd dirt. It isn't a solvent for dirt but it releases dirt from your hands. It's "wetter" than water. It isn't a solvent but it will break the bond and you may be able to slide a razor blade under the plastic to get it off.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay