Does Weldwood plastic resin glue go bad?
Does Weldwood plastic resin glue go bad over time? How do you know?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(12-05-2021, 08:25 PM)Aram Wrote: Does Weldwood plastic resin glue go bad over time? How do you know?

If it's the same Weldwood glue my dad used many, many years ago when building wooden boats, it did not. The caveat is we did not keep it forever. Sometimes my dad would mix up too much and because we were always watching pennies, he used to put the excess mixed up Weldwood glue in the freezer - it froze solid. When he needed it again, would just thaw it out and it was good as new.

The test was to glue two pieces of wood together with it and when it dried, pry them apart to see if the joint failed or the material did - glue joint never failed that I remember.

HTH,

Doug
(12-05-2021, 08:51 PM)Tapper Wrote: If it's the same Weldwood glue my dad used many, many years ago when building wooden boats, it did not. The caveat is we did not keep it forever. Sometimes my dad would mix up too much and because we were always watching pennies, he used to put the excess mixed up Weldwood glue in the freezer - it froze solid. When he needed it again, would just thaw it out and it was good as new.

The test was to glue two pieces of wood together with it and when it dried, pry them apart to see if the joint failed or the material did - glue joint never failed that I remember.

HTH,

Doug

Thank you
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Somewhere  caught that Dap says it has a 12 month shelf lie, relatively short. But my experience is that the conditions of storage play a huge roll in how long it will keep. Moisture in the air is the problem, an open container might keep for 3 days, while a tightly sealed one wil (obviously) keep much longer. I've kept the stuff for a couple of years with the container carefully sealed after use...but if it's bad it does show up in appearance. It will be grainy (clumps of already cured glue mixed with moisture) and not a smooth mixture at all. The container I have now is about 18 months old and I just used it not long ago with good results. I have taken to buying mine from Amazon, since it's not a big seller the stuff at the local hardware had about 1/4" of dust on the lid....I feared it might already be bad. But the Amazon stuff appears to be relatively fresh. I have no way of knowing since I can't decipher the code dates, but I do mark the date I bought the can on the lid with a Sharpie.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-05-2021, 08:25 PM)Aram Wrote: Does Weldwood plastic resin glue go bad over time? How do you know?

Yes.  When you first open the conainter, it will be a very fine powder that mixes easily.  When it starts to look sandy and the mix is 'bumpy' enough you have to work hard to mix it, it's time to toss it.
(12-06-2021, 07:54 AM)KC Wrote: Yes.  When you first open the conainter, it will be a very fine powder that mixes easily.  When it starts to look sandy and the mix is 'bumpy' enough you have to work hard to mix it, it's time to toss it.

Yes, ^^^^.  I buy/bought mine on Amazon, too, but it's "out of stock" from every supplier shown.  Looks like I'm going to have to switch to Unibond 800 or epoxy. FWIW, Unibond 800 has a shelf life of about a year, too.  Epoxy, however, lasts a really long time, at least West Systems' stuff.    

Doug's comment about putting it in the freezer is interesting.  Doug, did your dad ever put the powder in the freezer?  

John
John,

I don't ever remember my dad placing the powder in the freezer. Don't know if that extends the life of the product or not. During that time we almost always had a boat under construction. Dad was trying to control the waste and save a few cents here and there. Kind of a trait of those "Greatest Generation" folks.

Doug
It's my favorite glue to use other than the extra work of preparing it, and then throwing the waste away. I intend to try that freezing trick, I've never heard that before but now it shall be a trick in my book.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-08-2021, 09:26 PM)Tapper Wrote: John,

I don't ever remember my dad placing the powder in the freezer. Don't know if that extends the life of the product or not. During that time we almost always had a boat under construction.  Dad was trying to control the waste and save a few cents here and there. Kind of a trait of those "Greatest Generation" folks.

Doug

I would expect some moisture issues with the powder after a 'thaw' if it's kept in the freezer.  Might be a good experiment if somebody has a partial container they're willng to sacrifice.
DAP - who makes Weldwood - says the shelf life is 12 months. (Look in the FAQ section.)

https://www.dap.com/products-projects/pr...esin-glue/

Spec sheet confirms this:
https://assets.unilogcorp.com/187/ITEM/D..._Sheet.pdf
Still Learning,

Allan Hill