Does Weldwood plastic resin glue go bad?
I have a partially used can that has been in my drawer for quite a while. I tested a small sample a few months ago and it mixed smoothly with no gritty feel and it cured just fine. For what it is worth, the date code on it says 8/334. I was informed that this code means the year 2018 334th day. Or, 2018 Nov 30. They seem to change their codes from time to time. So, I can't say what a new can would say today.
(12-10-2021, 06:43 PM)Willyou Wrote: I have a partially used can that has been in my drawer for quite a while. I tested a small sample a few months ago and it mixed smoothly with no gritty feel and it cured just fine. For what it is worth, the date code on it says 8/334. I was informed that this code means the year 2018 334th day. Or, 2018 Nov 30. They seem to change their codes from time to time. So, I can't say what a new can would say today.

I expect that expiration date is as much a CYA as anything.  Don't know that I've had any opened for more than a year, but suspect that if you put the lid back on promptly it would be okay (until it isn't).  I certainly wouldn't throw it out or not buy it based only on that date.   I've always been able to buy it 'in person', and always open the lid to make sure it's good.
(12-10-2021, 06:43 PM)Willyou Wrote: I have a partially used can that has been in my drawer for quite a while. I tested a small sample a few months ago and it mixed smoothly with no gritty feel and it cured just fine. For what it is worth, the date code on it says 8/334. I was informed that this code means the year 2018 334th day. Or, 2018 Nov 30. They seem to change their codes from time to time. So, I can't say what a new can would say today.

With your code date info I looked at my 4.5# can. I did find a little sticker with 9/105, so it's 4/15 of 2019.I purchased it form Amazon in Feb. of 2020....so maybe the Amazon glue isn't as fresh as I thought; or the larger cans move more slowly than the 1# units. In any case, thanks for the code date info....my stuff is still good to anyone following the thread. Did Weldwood mention if the code date is the date of manufacture, or the "best buy" date?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-11-2021, 08:45 AM)fredhargis Wrote: With your code date info I looked at my 4.5# can. I did find a little sticker with 9/105, so it's 4/15 of 2019.I purchased it form Amazon in Feb. of 2020....so maybe the Amazon glue isn't as fresh as I thought; or the larger cans move more slowly than the 1# units. In any case, thanks for the code date info....my stuff is still good to anyone following the thread. Did Weldwood mention if the code date is the date of manufacture, or the "best buy" date?

I no longer have the message I got from them but, I believe it is the manufacturing date.
I will continue to test it before use. As long as it mixes smoothly without grittyness, hardens properly, and adheres properly, I'll continue using it.
I think the freshness / efficacy of the glue has a lot do to with how much exposure it's had to air and moisture once it's been opened. You can mitigate the exposure by how you seal it back up after you mix a batch. If I knew I wasn't going to use it much after I mixed my first batch, I'd seal the remainder in one of those food vacuum bags (I use Food Saver brand). It's also possible to shoot some Bloxygen in the container before sealing back up, but I don't think the seal on their plastic container really prevents much air from getting inside the container.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-11-2021, 11:32 AM)AHill Wrote: I think the freshness / efficacy of the glue has a lot do to with how much exposure it's had to air and moisture once it's been opened.  You can mitigate the exposure by how you seal it back up after you mix a batch.  If I knew I wasn't going to use it much after I mixed my first batch, I'd seal the remainder in one of those food vacuum bags (I use Food Saver brand).  It's also possible to shoot some Bloxygen in the container before sealing back up, but I don't think the seal on their plastic container really prevents much air from getting inside the container.

I expect it will keep out amost all the air once it's closed.  Don't know about anyone else, but my experience says those lids are better than most.  When it's on there right, it's tight.
(12-12-2021, 07:40 AM)KC Wrote: I expect it will keep out amost all the air once it's closed.  Don't know about anyone else, but my experience says those lids are better than most.  When it's on there right, it's tight.

That's my opinion as well....they seem to seal well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.