Stropping State-of-the-Art
(12-16-2021, 09:02 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ......................
A piece of cotton web belting glued to a board makes a very good strop when charged with honing compound. The rough, slightly corrugated surface really holds the charge a long time. Never tried nylon belting but I'll bet it would work as well...

Now THAT is a good idea!
It's all wood.
About the use of the blue jeans...really  quite safe...as long as you remember to PULL the chisel with the edge pointing away from you..just like on a normal strop..

3 pulls back on the bevel, 1 pull on the back, 2 pulls on the bevel, one final pull on the back...check for any burrs.   Pulls can either be up the pants leg, or across....I'm sitting down anyway....so I guess that could count as set-up time for the "strop"?

ps:  I usually only go to 2500 grit, then either the old leather work belt strop, or the Unicorn Wheel....then back to work.  Don't really want to use the 6" grinder.  I usually use the 6" disc sander to produce a flat bevel..then oil stones (2) then the 1000, 1500, 2000, and then the 2500 grits....A small blob of 3in1 oil to help out...so, where do I set the paper at...why right on top of the last oilstone...floating the paper on a thin layer of oil...    Stone is, after all, flat enough to work, makes a nice flat surface to sit the wet-or-dry paper on...the oil tends to keep the paper in place..no need to clamp it, Jed.    Hmmm. ....have yet to try the 3000 grit.....YMMV  ( I have work to do..)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that