Stanley 9 1/2 Blade
Can't seem to find a replacement blade for a Stanley Sweetheart 9 1/2. This is the one that has 2 small holes for the adjustment mechanism, not slots or a large opening.
(12-06-2021, 07:33 PM)BassMD Wrote: Can't seem to find a replacement blade for a Stanley Sweetheart 9 1/2. This is the one that has 2 small holes for the adjustment mechanism, not slots or a large opening.

You apparently have one of the newer, reproduction "sweetheart" offerings from Stanley (as opposed to a vintage 9½). I have heard that parts for these are tough to come by.

You may have to ask someone (like Ron Hock, for example) to make you one.

(btw - have you already used up the original, or did it meet with some misfortune?)
Joe put his finger on the issue; Stanley doesn't keep parts in inventory, and its not just the pandemic supply chain issue, for the last several years there have been many complaints about this. This is one of the reasons I'd never advise someone to buy the new 'Sweetheart' products. I think they outsource their parts fulfillment, here's one for $43:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/blade-p-2826191.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-07-2021, 11:42 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: You apparently have one of the newer, reproduction "sweetheart" offerings from Stanley (as opposed to a vintage 9½). I have heard that parts for these are tough to come by.

You may have to ask someone (like Ron Hock, for example) to make you one.

(btw - have you already used up the original, or did it meet with some misfortune?)

This plane is owned by my apprentice. I advised him to get extra blades so there is always a sharp one available. Also, he wants to have one sharpened at a lower angle.
If you have the newer Stanley 9-1/2 Sweetheart, you can buy the blade directly from Stanley. Ron Hock sells blades that fit vintage 9-1/2's. I can't say for sure, but I would think any blade for a 60-1/2 would fit a 9-1/2, since the only difference between the two is the bedding angle of the blade. (60-1/2 is the low angle with a 12 deg bed, and 9-1/2 is the normal angle 20 deg bed)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-09-2021, 05:24 PM)AHill Wrote: If you have the newer Stanley 9-1/2 Sweetheart, you can buy the blade directly from Stanley.  Ron Hock sells blades that fit vintage 9-1/2's.  I can't say for sure, but I would think any blade for a 60-1/2 would fit a 9-1/2, since the only difference between the two is the bedding angle of the blade. (60-1/2 is the low angle with a 12 deg bed, and 9-1/2 is the normal angle 20 deg bed)

Pretty sure there is a difference in width between a 60½ and a 9½ iron.

Also, if you know where to actually buy a replacement iron for a newer 9½, the OP would probably like to know.
(12-09-2021, 07:30 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Pretty sure there is a difference in width between a 60½ and a 9½ iron.

Stanley changed that when they introduced the new Sweetheart block planes. Both the new 60 1/2 and 9 1/2 use the same 1 5/8" A2 blades. That way they can anger twice as many users by not carrying replacements.