Bandsaw Tires Slipping Again
and again it's the top wheel.  This is a 12" bandsaw.  The tires are urethane. They've been there just over 2 years. I installed them with no adhesive based on a previous thread.    Mostly I have been cutting pen blanks and smaller stock. I have done some thicker stuff - a few inches thick without a problem.  This started last week when I was trying to cut some walnut that was about 5" tall.  I have cut walnut that is 4" thick previously.   Now if I try to cut really anything the top tire comes off.  Do I need to use adhesive for it, or do I need to replace the tire (and possibly the blade)?

I would replace the tire. Maybe its outside the spec or a tad bigger than the normal size.
(12-06-2021, 08:30 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I installed them with no adhesive based on a previous thread. 

I think you need to have a heart to heart conversation with the poster that influenced you to make that decision.
(12-07-2021, 01:45 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: I think you need to have a heart to heart conversation with the poster that influenced you to make that decision.

There were a couple, plus online research said you didn't need to.  The tires lasted 2 years like that,  However I called the company I ordered them from.  They recommended the same auto rubber trim adhesive as you use for rubber tires.  So I'll go get the adhesive and put the tires back on with it.

If those tires are stretched, and it sounds like they may be, It's likely you'll be way ahead just replacing it before you go with the adhesive.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I don't think much, if anything, will stick to the urethane tires hence, no glue.
If you decide to replace them again (maybe the right thing to do), I would suggest that you try a good quality rubber tire with glue. In your particular case for some reason, it may work better.
You might also contact the manufacturer. They may have some insight and possible solution.
(12-08-2021, 07:13 AM)fredhargis Wrote: If those tires are stretched, and it sounds like they may be, It's likely you'll be way ahead just replacing it before you go with the adhesive.

Well I just finished putting the 3M adhesive on the top tire.  The bottom tire is fine.  The manufacturer recommended the 3M.  I didn't think urethane tires needed adhesive.  The tire seemed to be tacking up ok and there was a fair bit of squeeze out so the tire isn't that stretched but I guess we'll see tomorrow after it is cured.

I've never used adhesive on tires...and actually the urethane I've installed were so tight it was a fight to get them on. But Bob knows his stuff, and I wouldn't disagree with him on anything. Hope it solves your problem.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-08-2021, 02:48 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I've never used adhesive on tires...and actually the urethane I've installed were so tight it was a fight to get them on. But Bob knows his stuff, and I wouldn't disagree with him on anything. Hope it solves your problem.

No two people have the same life's experiences. I spent a few decades repairing school shop woodworking machinery.  Band saw tire problems were routine problems that had to be addresses.  The band saws that had the least tire problems were the ones that used rubber tires that were glued on.  It was a routine maintenance job to recrown those tires from time to time with only a small percentage of those wheels needing actual tire replacement.   The little Delta 14" saws gave the most problems but they were cheap band saws to begin with.  I always carried a spare set of rubber tires for emergencies.  They went on the saws without glue.  As things devolved into the poly tire use, tire problems got worse and worse, but those problems were with the Delta 14" saws and the Taiwan wannabees.
Poly can dry out, stretch, become brittle, and fail.  Delta 20" saws had a poly stretch-on tire that would last about 20 years then suffer dramatic catastrophic failure.  After such an event, the student user usually was ready for therapy.

With the more recent advent of "hobbiest-grade" band saws being made and marketed to those looking for cheap, tires get little more than cursory attention.  Their tires may or may not hold up for a couple of years.

I picked up the above horrible little band saw for $10.00.  I thought it would be fun to play with.  The tires, predictably, had devolved into something akin to old cookie dough.  The seller was glad to get any offer.  I glued on rubber tires and machine crowned them.  I thought this would be a good little saw for scroll work.  Went to Lowes and got a small Bosch blade.  It cut so badly that I had to check several times to be sure the teeth were running in the right direction.  They were.  So much for that.  Went to Olson and got a 1/4" TK12559DB blade.  WOW.  What a difference.  It cut as smoothly as any 1/4" industrial quality blade.  I didn't get my wanted scroll band saw so I eventually gave the saw to the friend of my son's.  He loved it and had no great expectations.

The point is that the blade's teeth does the cutting.  Crappy teeth, crappy cut.  Under the blade is the tire that rotates the blade.  It needs to have a good crown and be glued on to the wheel for long term durability.  Replacing slip-on tires every few years avoids the trouble of crowning and gluing, but with the cost of tire replacement and blade replacement when the tire fails.  Your money, your choice as long as the potential consequences are known.
The blade is a Timberwolf. It still seems sharp. Most of what this saw does is cut blanks for pens. The blade hasn’t seen a ton of use. I’ll test it tomorrow and see if it’s any better.