Lowes price games
So I was at my local Lowes about a week ago, and they were advertising their Jorgensen Cabinet Master 24" clamps about $29.  The clamps were displayed on a cardboard Christmas display and it stated "New Lower Price".  So over the weekend, I went back and picked up two and they scanned $37.00.  I told the cashier they were $29 on the display and she told me to go back and take a picture of the display, so I did.  Well the display had been changed to now read $37.00.  

So I went to another store that had the clamps advertised on-line for $ 29 and successfully purchased two of them yesterday.  This morning I thought to myself, that was a pretty good deal, so I dropped by the same store and guess what, they price had gone up to $37.  So there is one last Lowes Store in my area that is advertising the at $29.

I find it quite annoying the prices are jumping around like this.  What the heck is going on?  I was also told one Lowes store won't honor the price of another Lowes store...is this true?
Eric
Must be a local thing maybe.  Online still shows them for $29.98.
(12-07-2021, 08:57 AM)Eric Commarato Wrote:  I was also told one Lowes store won't honor the price of another Lowes store...is this true?

Lowes has always been good to me about pricematching, whether it be online or HomeDepot, as long as the item is in stock at the lower priced store...
The surest way, I found out, to get something at the advertised prices regardless of store policy, store location or staff knowledge of the policy is to order what you want online at the price you are happy with, and pick up your order at the location of your choice. No one is going to change your credit card payment whether or not the store sells the same thing at a much higher price there, or the online price is a mistake. Even if you showed the online price at the store, they'd still tell you the price was for online orders only, which isn't always true.

Simon
got to know a couple of guys at my local Lowes and they've made me a bunch of great deals on clearance items.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

These are $37 now at my local Lowes now too. I could use two more clamps in this size so I took a serious look at them just before Thanksgiving but ended up not buying. Woodcraft had Bessey K bodys 10% off but those are still in the $50+ range.
I was at Lowe's two weeks ago, and noticed that all the new Jorgensen clamps are made in China. I can still find the US ones in the secondhand market. Same for Bessey clamps which are now made in China. What surprised me was when I saw the new Festool QR clamps that are made in Vietnam(?). Hey, the new QR clamps haven't lowered in price!

Simon
(12-08-2021, 10:22 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I was at Lowe's two weeks ago, and noticed that all the new Jorgensen clamps are made in China. I can still find the US ones in the secondhand market. Same for Bessey clamps which are now made in China. What surprised me was when I saw the new Festool QR clamps that are made in Vietnam(?). Hey, the new QR clamps haven't lowered in price!

Simon

GreatStar Industrial in China purchased the Adjustable Clamp Company assets.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(12-08-2021, 01:13 PM)meackerman Wrote: GreatStar Industrial in China purchased the Adjustable Clamp Company assets.

The history of the Adjustable Clamp Company, a fairly long article on the company by the Made in Chicago Museum:  https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/sing...-clamp-co/

And here is the announcement that Great Star had purchased the company:  https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/great...p-company/

Apparently Great Star has also purchased Arrow Staplers.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Based on my causal examination of the China-made JJ and Bessey clamps, they're as good as their US predecessors. Between US and imported clamps, one category that the imported clamps can't match the American model is the aluminum bar clamp. The Dubuque ones are head and shoulders above all Asian copies.

Simon