Epoxy Resin in Walnut
Hi everybody,

Making a coffee table top out of some black walnut and one of the pieces is split near the end.  I've never dealt with this before, but from looking at various U-Tube videos, it seems like the most popular way to deal with this is to fill it in with epoxy resin.  My question is how do I prepare the split before filling?  Fill it as is? Scrape out the loose chunks of what looks like a thin layer of bark? Something else?. thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-08-2021, 07:09 PM)Los Gatos Wood Worker Wrote: Hi everybody,

Making a coffee table top out of some black walnut and one of the pieces is split near the end.  I've never dealt with this before, but from looking at various U-Tube videos, it seems like the most popular way to deal with this is to fill it in with epoxy resin.  My question is how do I prepare the split before filling?  Fill it as is? Scrape out the loose chunks of what looks like a thin layer of bark? Something else?. thanks

I think I would just route a channel, and glue a piece of wood in. Cut the bad spot out,and glue/fasten another piece in.
I've always filled it as is, but that crack would be a little worrisome (for me). You have a corner that might break off even once filled. I would be more inclined to remove it completely (shorten the board or rip that edge off) than to fill it. I suppose it's place in the finished piece could be somewhere that's it's not stressed and will work out OK, but it sure looks like it wants to break off.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Adding to what fred mentioned, I might cut that corner off, and glue another piece on trying to match the grain. I would worry about that corner braking off.
(12-09-2021, 06:22 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've always filled it as is, but that crack would be a little worrisome (for me). You have a corner that might break off even once filled. I would be more inclined to remove it completely (shorten the board or rip that edge off) than to fill it. I suppose it's place in the finished piece could be somewhere that's it's not stressed and will work out OK, but it sure looks like it wants to break off.

Thanks Fred for your response.  I should have explained....the crack extends diagnolly about halfway through the board (it's about 2" thick) so stability is not an issue, and trying to cut off the cracked part on the end of the board, will just move the crack's locator towards the center (unless I cut off 12" which would not work in this case).  I didn't realize this when I bought it (I am very new to handling hardwoods and and making "nice stuff" or furniture).  So having said that, just fill it with some tinted epoxy resin as is?  I tried using using some cheap table top resin a year ago, but measuring the two parts by weight always resulted in epoxy that never seemed to completely harden.  Measuring the two parts by volume worked better but the epoxy curing still seemed very hit or miss.  I'm thinking about springing for the West System kit with the measuring pumps.  Do you have any recommendations on brands?  thanks
(12-09-2021, 10:01 AM)Scoony Wrote: Adding to what fred mentioned, I might cut that corner off, and glue another piece on trying to match the grain.  I would worry about that corner braking off.

Scoony, please see my response to fredhargis.  thanks
I call that a "craze" or "shake". Its not a typical crack or split due to shrinkage, it is a defect in the wood itself.

I agree with the comments but I would say if it isn't full thickness or loose, I think it will be ok.

I think if you heat up the wood and use thin epoxy, maybe a vacuum on the opposite side as long as the glue penetrates deep enough it would work.
The epoxies I've used are like this small West System (excellent products, BTW) with out any special measuring devices, and for large amounts I've always just weighed them...it's always worked for me. But if you're having trouble you might get the West stuff and try again, with a test to check for yourself that it works. I've not used those measuring pumps other than the ones you see on the small packs of epoxy at Walmart for home repair type stuff. Truthfully, evenm those seem to work out fairly well, at least for me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I think I would get a new board and use this one for something else. If that is not possible for some reason, I think I would explore the possibility of continuing the break completely separating the two pieces (or mostly so). Then glue it back on with epoxy. Without separation or, at least, gaining a larger gap, I would be afraid of not getting the crack adequately filled with epoxy.