Which saw?
Table saw.
If space is the reason for the question, consider putting the miter saw on a flip top cart that will store under the outfeed table; that's what I did for each, miter saw and planer.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
While a tablesaw is more useful, unless finances were extremely dire, there is no reason not to have both.  A miter saw can easily be moved around to fit even in a small space.
Table saw. I was taught to cut miters on a table saw. To this day, I get better cuts on a table saw.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I agree with a table saw. Then a Radial arm saw. I asked because a friend thinks a miter saw might be best to buy first.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Depends on task. I recently had to put all the new floors with long planks and all the baseboards, some 14 feet long. I am not imagining how you can do this type of work with either table saw or a circular saw. Mitre saw is a must.

I started with just circular saw few years back - rebuilt the deck (only top portion including top 4 inch posts and all the railings). I was done. With table or mitre saw I would do the same job, just faster.

Then I got portable table saw. Immediately I had to get 12 inch mitre saw and now I had replaced it with 12 inch sliding - still complaining it is not the latest model without those protruding sliding rails - there are better saws around that have different design and take less space.

So it really is up to you and what your reasons are - Projects? Space? Finances? - there is no tool that can do it all
(12-09-2021, 02:25 PM)Pirate Wrote: If you could only have either a miter saw, or a table saw, which would you have!
I can't imagine not having the table saw, which can do what the miter saw can, plus rip, and dados.
I'm talking for home shop, not trim carpentry.
What say?

A TS is much more versatile so a TS. I am fortunate to have both and I would hate to give up my Miter Saw.
Hahahaha. You know some of you flunked if this was an exam.

"If you could only have either a miter saw, or a table saw, which would you have!"

You could only choose either A or B!

Not both or adding other choices.
Laugh
Smirk
Winkgrin

Simon
The mitersaws predecessor, the RAS could even do the rips if you were brave.  There is so much overlap its hard to say one or the other.

A track saw can do much of what a table saw can do with just as nice a cut.  A mitersaw is a much more limited tool, though very accurate for long materials and great for repetitive cuts.

A while ago I replaced my big ole delta 12/14 with a Bosch portable saw.  With the type of diy work I have been doing lately, it doesnt get pulled out all that much.  For cutting sheet goods the track saw does an excellent job and is much safer when the panels are close to full size.

I do most of my small cuts on one of two bandsaws.  Whatever is the easiest and quickest to set up and use.
O.k.. If I have to I'll give up two 10" Hitachi miter saws and throw in my 10" C.I. Makita miter saw in order to keep both Uni-saws. The question didn't really address the two DeWalt R.A.S.s, so I guess I can keep them.

My suggestion to your friend is to buy used and buy both. He can upgrade to a Powermatic or Sawstop as funds are available. If he's just starting woodworking, he should consider his abilities and the possible necessity of a Sawstop. I do not like endorsing Sawstop at all, but that benefit would have left all five on my left hand.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
98% of the cuts on my miter saw are at 90 degrees. I could get away with a cutting sled on the table saw if needed. Now, when I get to my trim project this Spring, that will be different. I kept my old CMS when I got my slider and put it on a portable stand. This is just so I don't have to walk back and forth to the shop many, many times for stuff like that
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.