Pricing of a handmade log doll house.
I had built a log doll house about 10 years ago.  No one plays with it any longer and I am thinking about trying to sell it.  But I am struggling with how much to ask for it (most likely on Facebook Marketplace).  I see similar handmade ones being listed for upwards $1K, which seems excessive.  But on the other hand, I don't want to "give" it away.  I spent a lot of time on it.  I see a bunch of factory made and very simple ones of around $200.

I had milled all of the logs, boards, beams mostly from wood reclaimed from our old house (built in 1856).  It's about 21x28 and 24" high.

I am looking her for some opinions on how to price this.  Note that there are a lot of people with money in the town where I live.  (myself excluded!)

How much would you ask for this?

If I had a daughter or grand daughter of a certain age, I'd be a buyer of this for $1000 easily. But I am a woodworker and I know what goes into creating something like this. The challenge: finding a non-woodworker who can see the value. My only advice: don't undersell your work.
P.S: that is really nice!!!
I would strongly reconsider selling it, sitting in the living room or rec room, bringing back memories, waiting for next generation/grandkids.   If that doesn't fit your big picture, $800-1000 popped in my mind, & $1000 crosses an emotional line so $900 might work, but clearly worth $1000-1200.  good luck
Ray
I'd also reconsider selling it. You never know when somebody else in the family might want it. My daughters love their dollhouses quite a bit whether they're big and fancy or little and cheap. They spend time with me in the shop and like to "work" with me, which usually means taking things and putting them somewhere clever where I won't find it. But one of the things they like most is their "magic wand," which was a padauk scrap that I used to teach myself a few things about turning. Someday they might want to give that to their kids, and that's just a cheap throwaway. A handmade dollhouse I'd definitely charge market value if I ever decided to sell it, and this wouldn't be a time unless I was really pressed for space.
That's beautiful.  I'd probably find a way to keep it.
This is an unusual design for a doll house, but it looks incomplete. Build some log furniture such as a desk, bed, bookcase, etc. for it, then decide if you want to sell it, and for how much.

I'd sell this log house (if I had built it) if I couldn't find a better home for it. Not everyone or every house is a good home to the piece. Putting it in a house, eg, full of modern IKEA furniture or a cramped place with it being stored in the basement or attic doesn't do any justice to the work. It should be played with and displayed.

Oh. If I can find a true lover of something I build and treasure, price won't be the deciding factor if I want to part with it. I have given some labored pieces to people for their birthday gifts.....young boys and girls still appreciate unusual gifts that they can't find in a typical store.

And if you haven't already done so, please please put the build date and your name/signature on the house/furniture pieces (if built).

Simon
Couple of observations :

FB mp is not rife with well heeled buyers of arts&crafts in my experience. 

Few if any outside your family care about the provenance of the wood. It’s a great story but doesn’t really add any value to an outsider. 

Playability of that piece is limited because of the layout. Few rooms, ladder restricts access to main space , and the aforementioned lack of furnishings. 

I’m thinking 500 would be more appropriate, and wouldn’t be surprised if you get little interest even at that price.
Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.  I have some doubts now about selling it.  Maybe I get rid of some other, more junky stuff to make room and keep a little longer.  I thought about gifting it to someone close to my family, but there just isn't anyone who is close enough and would appreciate it.  Any potential grandkids are pretty far out because my son is only 13 now.
If I truly didn't want it I would try to find a place to donate it before selling it. I agree that most buyers would not care about the provenance of the wood. I also agree that you need to add furniture, etc to it. Another option would be repurposing it. It reminds me of the Christmas tree stand we had growing up. My mom's grandfather built a scale model of the house she grew up in and turned it into a Christmas tree stand. It was about the same dimensions as the house you built.

(12-13-2021, 08:23 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Couple of observations :

FB mp is not rife with well heeled buyers of fudge art in my experience. 

Few if any outside your family care about the provenance of the wood. It’s a great story but doesn’t really add any value to an outsider. 

Playability of that piece is limited because of the layout. Few rooms, ladder restricts access to main space , and the aforementioned lack of furnishings. 

I’m thinking 500 would be more appropriate, and wouldn’t be surprised if you get little interest even at that price.

Interesting that the overzealous software shows the proper 'fo1k' when you quote it (before you submit your reply)... but goes to fudge afterward.  Maybe folksy would work.