What is this thing called that holds open a drop down shelf??
Hi,

Have an older bookcase with a shelf that drops down.  The 1st picture shows what the intact one looks like and I'm holding the broken one from the other side in the 2nd picture.

I was thinking McMaster-Carr would have it, but I don't know what the holder is called.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
It's not exactly the same, but here's something that's close...called a lid stay. WWH has some other versions.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Try searching for "drop front lid stay". As you are searching, you may find some variations on that terminology. You may not find one exactly like the one you show as there are different mechanisms that accomplish that task. I did a similar search a short time ago and never saw any quite like what you show.
I assume that the part you are holding between your fingers is mortised into the door and the right half of the upper part is broken away. If you still have the piece that is broken away, could it be repaired by silver brazing?
(12-12-2021, 11:23 AM)Willyou Wrote: Try searching for "drop front lid stay". As you are searching, you may find some variations on that terminology. You may not find one exactly like the one you show as there are different mechanisms that accomplish that task. I did a similar search a short time ago and never saw any quite like what you show.
I assume that the part you are holding between your fingers is mortised into the door and the right half of the upper part is broken away. If you still have the piece that is broken away, could it be repaired by silver brazing?

Willyou,

This bookshelf was in my MIL's house for years so that piece is long gone.
Dumber than I appear
(12-13-2021, 09:02 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Willyou,

This bookshelf was in my MIL's house for years so that piece is long gone.

That's a shame. As I said, in my long search for hardware for a small secretary I recently restored, I have never seen anything like that. But, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, that is a pretty simple shape. Maybe you could get a piece of brass rod, flatten one side, grind or file a dome in the top, drill the screw hole, and braze it to the base. Or, make the whole thing in one piece and cut the notch for the support leg. Then fasten to the round base (that you are holding) by what ever means the existing one is fastened.
Your MIL would be real impressed.
(12-13-2021, 03:14 PM)Willyou Wrote: That's a shame. As I said, in my long search for hardware for a small secretary I recently restored, I have never seen anything like that. But, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. However, that is a pretty simple shape. Maybe you could get a piece of brass rod, flatten one side, grind or file a dome in the top, drill the screw hole, and braze it to the base. Or, make the whole thing in one piece and cut the notch for the support leg. Then fasten to the round base (that you are holding) by what ever means the existing one is fastened.
Your MIL would be real impressed.

I'd bet a local machine shop could make a replacement part rather easily, although it won't be cheap.
DP, did you fnd anything that will work????
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-19-2021, 06:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: DP, did you fnd anything that will work????

No I haven't
Dumber than I appear