Wire gauge drill bits
Any Ace Hardware store carries 1 - 60 bits.
According to their web site, Home Depot says they have them with free delivery. About $6.00 for a 12 pack.

If your bit broke somewhere within the fluted area, just use a fine grit grinding wheel and sharpen the broken end to a point; like a nail. No need to worry about a proper drill bit shape. If you are drilling wood or plastic, this will work just fine. It is easy to do this by chucking the bit into your hand drill and spin it against the spinning grinder. You'll get almost a perfect conical point.
(02-06-2022, 10:22 PM)Sam Hightower Wrote: Any Ace Hardware store carries 1 - 60 bits.

I'll have to check my local Ace. They are not your typical Ace but do have a large selection.

Thanks
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-07-2022, 10:33 AM)Willyou Wrote: According to their web site, Home Depot says they have them with free delivery. About $6.00 for a 12 pack.

If your bit broke somewhere within the fluted area, just use a fine grit grinding wheel and sharpen the broken end to a point; like a nail. No need to worry about a proper drill bit shape. If you are drilling wood or plastic, this will work just fine. It is easy to do this by chucking the bit into your hand drill and spin it against the spinning grinder. You'll get almost a perfect conical point.

Gonna have to try that. Very helpful (as all of the responses have been)
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(12-12-2021, 02:47 PM)museumguy Wrote: Ok, I'm usually pretty good at finding things online. Today, can't do it. I was using my small wire gauge drill bits and broke the #66 and #67 sizes. All I need is 1 of each. McMaster Carr has them for $1.52 each, with $8.42 shipping. Can't do it. Anyone know where I can get just the couple sizes that I need at a reasonable price?

Garry, you might be able to make that will work for you one like it shows in this video. It depends on several factors but if you have some drill rod or music wire and a lathe, it is doable. They work surprisingly well in softer materials.

And depending on whether or not the broken bits are bent, you may be able to use the shank of one of them to make one, also. Necessity is the mother of invention..My thought is that if you have the ability and equipment to use drills that size, you can probably make whatever you need to make these...
Winkgrin

Skip to about 3.50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1aj_3tlQhU
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset