Range hood
Hi all,
I had a question about venting a range hood above an oven.
The old over the range oven that was originally installed goes up into the attic and runs straight across and out to the soffit. (house from late 70's but likely the legacy vent was installed in the 90's)
I dont think your allowed do that anymore, moisture going back up into house reasons etc from what I understand.
For my new range hood id like to bring the vent up into the attic and vent out the gabel end of the house. It will be out of sight for most part and will be a easy enough install (lots of room in the attic to work with.
Im trying to avoid bringing a pipe vertically out the roof if I can avoid it.
Are there any issues or things I need to be aware of doing that?

Thanks all
I'll be following this since that's the plan I have for a range vent. The only thing I can think off would be the possible collection of grease/dirt under the vent on the side of the gable; but maybe there's something else I didn't consider.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-16-2021, 12:35 AM)Ros Tress Wrote: Hi all,
I had a question about venting a range hood above an oven.
The old over the range oven that was originally installed goes up into the attic and runs straight across and out to the soffit. (house from late 70's but likely the legacy vent was installed in the 90's)
I dont think your allowed do that anymore, moisture going back up into house reasons etc from what I understand.
For my new range hood id like to bring the vent up into the attic and vent out the gabel end of the house. It will be out of sight for most part and will be a easy enough install (lots of room in the attic to work with.
Im trying to avoid bringing a pipe vertically out the roof if I can avoid it.
Are there any issues or things I need to be aware of doing that?

Thanks all

Be careful of condensation in the cold attic.   Try to pitch the pipe to drain and insulate the pipe.  Don't know what area you are in but if you put warm moist air in a cold pipe in a zero degree attic that cannot drain , you will have a problem. 
Check your local codes but normally the requirement that it ends at least 10' from any air intake (window, door etc). Cannot vent into the attic. Roly
(12-16-2021, 06:21 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll be following this since that's the plan I have for a range vent. The only thing I can think off would be the possible collection of grease/dirt under the vent on the side of the gable; but maybe there's something else I didn't consider.

Lots of options for range hoods out there, but I'll give a shout out to Vent-a-hood. We've had ours for 15 years with a side discharge leading out to exterior wall. We've experienced no grease on the exterior wall...and we'd know as the house has white siding. Vent-a-hood uses a squirrel cage fan to move the air and all the grease is captured in removable fan housing that is (fairly) easy to clean.

They are a bit pricier than others but we've been very happy with ours. They have models that are complete units and others that fit inside custom enclosures (for the woodworker types).
Venting out through a continuous vented soffit can permit moisture to recirculate back into the attic. If it is not a continuous vented soffit, no problem.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have my Vent-A-Hood vented straight up through the ceiling into the unheated attic and then out the roof.  I can't remember for sure, but I don't think the metal vent pipe is insulated.  It's been there 25 years and I've never had condensation problems.  I live near Niagara Falls and it gets down to zero here sometimes.  

John
(12-16-2021, 03:41 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I have my Vent-A-Hood vented straight up through the ceiling into the unheated attic and then out the roof.  I can't remember for sure, but I don't think the metal vent pipe is insulated.  It's been there 25 years and I've never had condensation problems.  I live near Niagara Falls and it gets down to zero here sometimes.  

John

With the vent pipe vertical it is normally a lot shorter run with less time to lose heat than a horizontal run and is also self draining if there should be any condensation.   Roly
I prefer a side wall over the roof when given a choice. Go up to a long sweep 90* (or two 45*s) then pitch down 1/4" per ft. min., all the way thru the siding and block, and put the cap on the end so any drips will be outside the weather tight shell.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
My parents did not have a range hood, but did have an exhaust fan that vented through the wall directly outdoors. 

My rangehood has a filter and recirculates the air.  It usually keeps the smoke detector from going off. 

I googled:  range hood vent requirements *New York State*.

I also googled the same for Texas and both were topographically and informational identical. 

Google the same for your state.  You will probably find what you are looking for. 

The information was highly detailed with charts and graphs.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I just googled for Ohio and it is identical as for New York and Texas.  They all seem to be using the same specs. (UP Code)

https://up.codes/viewer/ohio/oh-resident...systems#15
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.