speed control failed on my PC 7518
After a couple of weeks of intermittently working and not working, my variable speed control on my 7518 router seems to be kaput and the router won't power on. (I did make sure it wasn't the switch).
It appears that a replacement part is no longer available so I'm thinking a plug in variable speed controller might be the way to go.  I have no experience with these. Are they a dependable option, and can anyone recommend a brand/model for my needs? Is there something else I should be considering? I use this only mounted in a table.
It's just too much router to throw away, and running it full tilt all the time doesn't seem a practical solution. Thank you!
My PC 7518 router did the same thing a few years ago. I blew air from the compressor through the router and it started working again. No problem since. Mine would power up and run up to the set speed. Must of been some dust in the reostate (sp).
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-16-2021, 05:36 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: My PC 7518 router did the same thing a few years ago. I blew air from the compressor through the router and it started working again. No problem since. Mine would power up and run up to the set speed. Must of been some dust in the reostate (sp).

Yup, that fixed mine for a couple of weeks! Unfortunately, then the magic wore off.
Ed,
Did you pull the end cap off? I just had mine out of the table so took the opportunity to pull the end cap even though it was working properly. There were all kinds of chips and craposis jammed in every nook and cranny. I used a shop vac to vacuum out as much of the debris as possible, then blew out the rest with the compressor.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(12-17-2021, 08:26 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Ed,
Did you pull the end cap off? I just had mine out of the table so took the opportunity to pull the end cap even though it was working properly. There were all kinds of chips and craposis jammed in every nook and cranny. I used a shop vac to vacuum out as much of the debris as possible, then blew out the rest with the compressor.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I did take the cap off and blew it out, with no luck. Pretty much the extent of my electrical expertise, so I took it to a shop who told me the variable speed control was bad ( and the part was obsolete). He will wire it to full speed,which will be fine for most stuff, but I'd like to slow it down for big bits, so I'm looking at the plug in variable speed boxes.
(12-17-2021, 12:42 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Thanks Gary, I did take the cap off and blew it out, with no luck. Pretty much the extent of my electrical expertise, so I took it to a shop who told me the variable speed control was bad ( and the part was obsolete). He will wire it to full speed,which will be fine for most stuff, but I'd like to slow it down for big bits, so I'm looking at the plug in variable speed boxes.

The harbor Freight $18 router speed control works fine for my older single speed PC router.   Roly
(12-17-2021, 01:56 PM)Roly Wrote: The harbor Freight $18 router speed control works fine for my older single speed PC router.   Roly

Thanks Roly. If the amp rating works for mine, I'll give it a go!
(12-17-2021, 06:08 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Thanks Roly. If the amp rating works for mine, I'll give it a go!

I have an external speed control I use with a P-C 8529 whose speed control died. It works as expected but I don't know how it would fare under heavy load like a panel raising bit. I also haven't used it for extended periods of time to know if it'd get hot or something.
Have you tried factory service center repairs?
I had my router factory service repaired/refurbished a couple years ago.
Once I found the local service center I called them and verified my router could be repaired.
They went completely thru my 7539 router replacing several parts including the motor windings.
It was a guaranteed flat rate of $189.99 for the repairs.

Here is the link to the repair form. https://www.toolservicenet.com/ and click on the online repairs box.
(12-20-2021, 06:49 PM)wood-chips Wrote: Have you tried factory service center repairs?
I had my router factory service repaired/refurbished a couple years ago.
Once I found the local service center I called them and verified my router could be repaired.
They went completely thru my 7539 router replacing several parts including the motor windings.
It was a guaranteed flat rate of $189.99 for the repairs.

Here is the link to the repair form. https://www.toolservicenet.com/ and click on the online repairs box.

I didn't try a factory service center. I don't have anything near me, so I took it to a local electrical repair shop. I did try to find the part on e-replacement and they say its obsolete. Thanks for the link, on first glance, I can't even find a listing for the 7518 model (they show a 7519). I do see where they have a set refurb price like you mention. Maybe its worth a phone call tomorrow. Thanks!