speed control failed on my PC 7518
(12-20-2021, 08:57 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I didn't try a factory service center. I don't have anything near me, so I took it to a local electrical repair shop. I did try to find the part on e-replacement and they say its obsolete. Thanks for the link, on first glance, I can't even find a listing for the 7518 model (they show a 7519). I do see where they have a set refurb price like you mention. Maybe its worth a phone call tomorrow. Thanks!

When you go to the repair page, enter 7518 in the sear bar, you'll get several numbers in the return search list.
Click on the 7518 31231, a page with items will come up. Scroll down 3 rows and the 7518 router will be there.
(12-21-2021, 01:50 AM)wood-chips Wrote: When you go to the repair page, enter 7518 in the sear bar, you'll get several numbers in the return search list.
Click on the 7518 31231, a page with items will come up. Scroll down 3 rows and the 7518 router will be there.

Thank you!
I know I am kind of changing the subject, but that seems to be a big problem with the 7018 router. I had it happen to me.  The Bosch's 1617  is 2 1/4 HP routers can handle routing tasks and is on sale right now for $149. One might have to take a couple of lighter cuts if using a raised panel cutter, but it shouldn't be a problem if you are a hobbyist. 

Buy the time you spend all the time chasing down the part to find out it is obsolete in your case. Or in mine, pay a service center  $35 ( Acme tool) to get it worked on only to find out they can't fix it. And have to put up with a song and dance story. Your router that did work on one speed is now in parts  in a box, every part completely disassembled. I would just buy a different router and get on with my life.

I have had it happen to my Bosch router too, but it lasted much longer before it happened and a cheaper price is easier to absorb. 

Tom
(12-16-2021, 02:55 PM)ed kerns Wrote: After a couple of weeks of intermittently working and not working, my variable speed control on my 7518 router seems to be kaput and the router won't power on. (I did make sure it wasn't the switch).
It appears that a replacement part is no longer available so I'm thinking a plug in variable speed controller might be the way to go.  I have no experience with these. Are they a dependable option, and can anyone recommend a brand/model for my needs? Is there something else I should be considering? I use this only mounted in a table.
It's just too much router to throw away, and running it full tilt all the time doesn't seem a practical solution. Thank you!

If you decide to go with a new/different router, maybe look into Hitachi. That used to be a pretty popular 3 h.p table router. I'm not sure why it fell out of favor, I don't recall any negatives about it - well - except for being UGLY
Laugh.The new ones aren't ugly. Maybe that the 3 h.p. Hitachi routers are plunge only, they won't fit a 3rd party lift. I have a Freud FT2000E which is similar, plunge only. I put a router raizer on it and am quite happy with it. I thought the new Hitachi had an above the table lift mechanism built in but the online manual doesn't mention it. I know a router raizer is available but that's an additional expense. For anyone considering this router, I'd recommend keeping an eye on Big Sky Tools web site. There can be some nice prices and the A rated refurbs are difficult to distinguish from new. I have a refurb SCMS from there and it was like new.
(12-24-2021, 08:22 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: If you decide to go with a new/different router, maybe look into Hitachi. That used to be a pretty popular 3 h.p table router. I'm not sure why it fell out of favor, I don't recall any negatives about it - well - except for being UGLY
Laugh.The new ones aren't ugly. Maybe that the 3 h.p. Hitachi routers are plunge only, they won't fit a 3rd party lift. I have a Freud FT2000E which is similar, plunge only. I put a router raizer on it and am quite happy with it. I thought the new Hitachi had an above the table lift mechanism built in but the online manual doesn't mention it. I know a router raizer is available but that's an additional expense. For anyone considering this router, I'd recommend keeping an eye on Big Sky Tools web site. There can be some nice prices and the A rated refurbs are difficult to distinguish from new. I have a refurb SCMS from there and it was like new.

I have a spare 7518 that I bought a couple of years ago, so if a plug-in speed reducer doesn't work out, I'll just swap the router. I bought the second one (used) because it was a sweet deal and I knew it would fit my Incra lift if it was needed someday. Maybe it's someday now!
(12-27-2021, 04:15 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I have a spare 7518 that I bought a couple of years ago, so if a plug-in speed reducer doesn't work out, I'll just swap the router. I bought the second one (used) because it was a sweet deal and I knew it would fit my Incra lift if it was needed someday. Maybe it's someday now!

I've used a remote speed control on a P-C 8529, it seemed to work fine. That wasn't swinging a large bit at low RPM though. I did have to remove the wire to the speed control on the router motor because it wouldn't start at all with the OEM speed control in the circuit. I image you'd need to do something similar, having two speed controls in use, even if one isn't doing what it's supposed to do seems like it could cause problems.

The concern I've had with add-on speed controls is the feed back circuit (if there is one). AFAIK a variable speed router has circuitry that senses decay of RPM and increases amperage to maintain RPM. It's hard for me to see how a remote controller would sense motor RPM. There may be another means to sense the need for additional power but I don't know what it would be.