Convert florescent lamp to led?
Question 
I recently picked up a Luxo dual-bulb work lamp.

I'd like to replace the florescent, circline bulb that was already in the lamp with a brighter (daylight/6000K), circular LED bulb.

Is the florescent ballast inside that circline bulb, so I can just swap it with a circline LED?  If not, should I try to open up the housing & remove the ballast, re-wiring the lamp for LED?

While we're at it, the friction-grip locking thing in the elbow seems worn out--it's about as tight as it'll get, and isn't holding well.  Suggestions on how to re-energize that thing for better control?
I believe the ballast is in the lump at the base, or at least, it is in the antique unit I have.  It’s not in the circle bulb.  But since the incandescent bulb is on line voltage already, meaning there’s wiring that’s not regulated by the ballast already present in the head, you may be able to tap into that, after the switch that controls the incandescent bulb, so they both go on/off with that single switch.

Or use a bulb that is designed to work with a ballast.

As to the friction joint, I’d just take it apart, clean the parts with solvent, and maybe rough them up with sand paper.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Contact Luxo.  They have an exceptionally good customer service department.  They probably will offer some help.

https://www.luxo-lighting.com/customer-service

Let us know how it works out.  I have a Luxo with a magnifier.  Not as old as yours, but easily 40 years old.  An exceptionally good piece of equipment.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-19-2021, 10:55 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I believe the ballast is in the lump at the base, or at least, it is in the antique unit I have.  It’s not in the circle bulb.  But since the incandescent bulb is on line voltage already, meaning there’s wiring that’s not regulated by the ballast already present in the head, you may be able to tap into that, after the switch that controls the incandescent bulb, so they both go on/off with that single switch.

Or use a bulb that is designed to work with a ballast.

As to the friction joint, I’d just take it apart, clean the parts with solvent, and maybe rough them up with sand paper.
Good idea, on the tapping into the one switch & integrating. And I hadn't thought the ballast might be in the bottom.

The friction joint may be an issue. There's a fully-compressed lock washer under the knurled knob, and I'm guessing it needs replacing after being squeezed so long. The other end of the shaft though that joint has a round, smoothly domed head. So when I turn the knurled knob, it & the shaft, including its head, spin together. With the shaft's head being what it is, there's no grip there. And the shaft itself is fully shielded by the arms. I may have to break the head off & replace that shaft.

(12-20-2021, 08:27 AM)Cooler Wrote: Contact Luxo.  They have an exceptionally good customer service department.  They probably will offer some help.

https://www.luxo-lighting.com/customer-service

Let us know how it works out.  I have a Luxo with a magnifier.  Not as old as yours, but easily 40 years old.  An exceptionally good piece of equipment.

Thanks, you were correct. CS was friendly; they're officially Taber Office Supply, though, not really Luxo. They did give me Luxo's phone number, and they, too, were friendly. Turns out the person who handles my type of question is out, but they gave me an email address, suggesting I send in my question(s) with pictures, and strongly implied they would get back to me.
My friend inherited his father's Luxo back in the early 1970s.  The ballast burned out. It was probably 30 years old at that time. 

He called Luxo (located in Connecticut at that time) and they said to send it in.  They would give an estimate.  A few days later he received a brand new lamp.  They apologized and said that parts were unavailable for his lamp, so they replaced it with a new one.

Based on that level of customer care, when my Mother was looking for a magnifier lamp I recommended Luxo.  She had it for about a year and the lens got cracked (I don't know how).  She called Luxo and they asked no questions other than her address and sent a replacement lens. 

Obviously, things have changed since 1973, but hopefully not the level of customer care.  That unit looks very much like my friend's lamp.  And if that is the case, then the parts will not be available.  They may offer you a very good deal on a replacement.  I can't imagine they are still shipping out new lamps for old ones.  Your lamp may be from 1950 or earlier.  

Good luck with this. I think you have a better chance with Luxo than with most manufacturers. 

Let us know how you make out.  It would be good to know that they are still a first-rate company producing first-rate products.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The reason for the florescent/incandescent mix in those lamps is to get the right "color temperature" -- inky is yellow, florescent is blue, together they are "just right".

So if you replace the inky with a bright LED you won't need the ring light unless you're needing the larger light source to reduce shadows.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(12-24-2021, 05:26 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: The reason for the florescent/incandescent mix in those lamps is to get the right "color temperature" -- inky is yellow, florescent is blue, together they are "just right".

That's pretty cool, had no idea.
I did this, it was relatively easy. I got a direct 120v led lamp. The only thing about the circuit is that the switch actually has a starter in it, and it doesn't work with a direct wire lamp*. Fortunately, I have a fairly extensive junk pile, so replacing it was pretty easy for me.  Ignoring the search time.  

*It occurs to me that I don't fully understand the wiring in your lamp. If the center lamp is direct wire, you should be able to wire in parallel with that.

I don't remember there being a lump, it's just like one of those cheap fluorescent lamps that everyone used to have over their bathroom sink, it has a starter.
(12-25-2021, 08:21 PM)EricU Wrote: I don't remember there being a lump, it's just like one of those cheap fluorescent lamps that everyone used to have over their bathroom sink, it has a starter.

But even with an old fashioned starter, there still needs to be a transformer (ballast) to create the high voltage needed to establish the arc in the tube, and then to limit the current through that argon/mercury vapor once it starts.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-22-2021, 04:18 PM)Cooler Wrote: Let us know how you make out.  It would be good to know that they are still a first-rate company producing first-rate products.

My first email to Luxo, shortly before the holidays, apparently got lost.  A follow-up this past weekend, though, received an answer.

The Luxo parent, today, is Unitron, and their response was reasonably prompt, and nice.  They do not carry parts for older lamps themselves, however.  They have referred me to one of their distributors who does repairs, so I've reached out to them.  Hopefully they'll be in touch soon.