Cutting board conundrum
Son Fescue wants me to make a cutting board for friend for Christmas.

Kitchen it will inhabit is pine, so he wants something that looks like pine.

Found some nice 4/4 Poplar in my stash.  

Wants me to back it with 4/4 Oak.

I am concerned that gluing oak to poplar, even using Type III Titebond, won't last.

He isn't
Rolleyes

Any good ideas on how to proceed??
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Maple is fairly light colored and would wear better than poplar. 

According to this chart, both red oak and yellow poplar have the same expansion rates in quarter sawn.  Maple is similar, but not the same.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-co...vement.pdf
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Poplar wouldn't be my first (or even tenth) choice of cutting board material...too soft. But that's just my opinion.

Since you're doing the labor ask your son to spring for some maple.
Will the face be end grain or long grain? Most chefs prefer end grain boards - easier on their knives. I just made one for my daughter (end grain) and Beech was a nice, hard light choice.
Fescue asked about maple, and I happen to have some in my stash. I'll dig it out and see what I've got.

Thanks for the help!

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
Another vote for Maple here.  Made one out of maple and walnut
several years ago for our Christmas gift exchange.  It is out of state,
so I have not seen it since, but I am told it is still working just fine.

Can't imagine pine or poplar holding up.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(12-20-2021, 05:46 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Fescue asked about maple, and I happen to have some in my stash.  I'll dig it out and see what I've got.

Thanks for the help!

One from last Xmas I had orders for 16 boards 14 for one customer hard maple and a little walnut for interest.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another vote here for something other than poplar/pine. Maple or walnut (or both together) are much more durable and would be a nice accent for a pine kitchen. The pine-on-pine may not be as aesthetically pleasing as Fescue thinks, and poplar won't last if the cutting board is more than a decoration.
(12-21-2021, 06:10 PM)Tim J. Chase Wrote: One from last Xmas I had orders for 16 boards 14 for one customer hard maple and a little walnut for interest.

That board gives me lots of ideas! Great Look!

Ended up with a piece of Beech I had stashed.  He is very happy with the color and it is hard enough that it will last.  

He's slowly getting infected with the "family disease" 
Laugh

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
(12-21-2021, 06:51 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: That board gives me lots of ideas! Great Look!

Ended up with a piece of Beech I had stashed.  He is very happy with the color and it is hard enough that it will last.  

He's slowly getting infected with the "family disease" 
Laugh

20 years ago I made a bunch of cutting boards for Christmas from some 8/4 beach I had. The end grain has some nice features if you take the time and lay them out. 

It was a fun project but I called them "Son of a Beech" to make. 
Laugh
Laugh