Wahuda 8 inch and general jointer question
Hi,
Some might remember I recently had question whether to get jointer or not - I ended up with new Wahuda 8 inch.
The greatness of the tool aside (and my euphory of owning one) I still have some concern about the tool. Maybe it is Wahuda, maybe it is specific model or a sample, maybe it is jointers in general - I am not 100% sure.

This is about fence setup. For the tool this $$$ and otherwise looking great I found the fence setup to be on the lower side. Those small set screws to set for 90 and 135 degrees stops look way too small to be precise. To me it looks like I have to work to set specific angle (say 90) for a bit, test it, make sure it is actually 90 and once done - do not change it unless need another angle. I would not want to trust that set screw. Am I the only one or do others feel the same?
Also specifically about the model - it feels like once the inbound end of fence set to 90 degree at the same time the outbound end is ever so slightly off (not sure it is less or more than 90). Is my setup wrong? Is the device not that accurate? What else?

Other than that tool looks really nice, like it so far (need more time to actually love it)
I only use the set screw stops for approx. settings at 90 and 45 deg. I have a square that is dead nuts square that I only use for fence and table saw blade square. I use a small flash light shining towards me and the fence / blade and the square. I will adjust the fence or blade until it is exactly square and tighten it down. Sometimes just tightening it down it will go out of square, so I will re-do until it is square when tightened down.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-21-2021, 12:18 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I only use the set screw stops for approx. settings at 90 and 45 deg. I have a square that is dead nuts square that I only use for fence and table saw blade square. I use a small flash light shining towards me and the fence / blade and the square. I will adjust the fence or blade until it is exactly square and tighten it down. Sometimes just tightening it down it will go out of square, so I will re-do until it is square when tightened down.

Yes, that is basically the plan. Screw those set screws
Smile

Still I do not understand what to do with slight unevenness of the fence. Do you use just one square? In the middle of fence? On either ends?
I do not know what you mean about " slight unevenness of the fence". The fence should be ground flat, as are the tables. The in-feed and out-feed tables should be in the same plane. The out feed table should be the same heigth as the cutter blades. The infeed table will be a little lower than the out-feed table. I set mine at .050" lower that the out feed table. When I square the fence to the table I use the table a couple inches from the cutter head. I will check the out feed table but it is always square with the fence. I hope this helps.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-21-2021, 02:56 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I do not know what you mean about " slight unevenness of the fence". The fence should be ground flat, as are the tables. The in-feed and out-feed tables should be in the same plane. The out feed table should be the same heigth as the cutter blades. The infeed table will be a little lower than the out-feed table. I set mine at .050" lower that the out feed table. When I square the fence to the table I use the table a couple inches from the cutter head. I will check the out feed table but it is always square with the fence. I hope this helps.

I have not checked if the two tables are actually parallel, good point. Will do when get back to it.
By slight unevenness I mean what I describes in the post - if I set dead square angle with receiving end of fence (this will be angle between infeed table and fence),then I see angle between the fence and outfeed table to be just slightly off 90, maybe fraction of a degree. I was wondering if there is some knowledge, specifically related to this jointer model.
Regards
Amazon reviews for these are a mixed bag.  The flatness of the casting was also an issue for some.  The plastic knobs were described as "toys", but they usually can be replaced.  Flatness of the fence (an extrusion apparently) was an issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Just to have a closure on the thread - it was tables misaligned as someone suggested. After spending some time I had it done right - no more funky fence
Smile