SW ProClassic question
Is there a substitute for water based that works in an HVLP w/o a ton of thinning?
(12-22-2021, 10:10 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Is there a substitute for water based that works in an HVLP w/o a ton of thinning?

ProClassic is paint and best sprayed with an airless unit.  For an HVLP gun you want a WB lacquer.  If you can use white then Lenmar's Duralaq WB will work great for you.  I can't remember the viscosity right now, but it's low enough that you should have no trouble if you have a 1.8 mm or larger N/N.  It's available at or through your local BM store.  They have a great primer, too, called Undercoater, that has an incredibly low viscosity, something like 35 seconds through a #4 Ford cup.

If you prefer SW's get their KemAqua+ WB white.  

If you need something other than white then you should look into Target Coating's EM-6000 pigmented lacquer which is available in any of BM's colors.  

John
What stage is your HVLP or what is the cfm output? I spray BM Advance WB enamel with 10% thinning through an older 4 Stage Gracie 4900 with excellent results. I will say an airless would be my first choice and an airless with give you better atomization and more volume. The airless is a lot more clean up, waste, and overspray though. For smaller projects my HVLP does very well but it’s a bit more finicky and a whole lot slower. Pro Classic seems a bit thicker than Advance to me but I haven’t measured their viscosity. Advance brushes and smooths out very well with a high quality brush.

I've sprayed ProClassic it with a turbine sprayer. 1.3mm tip I can't remember the thinning but I think its less than 20%.

Moot point, I've already ordered pig lac from TC. I just remembered that what I used on the rest of it.