New type of fastener for me
While on youtube a channel poped up about making french cleats  which I have used for other people's projects. Any way he was these trim screws Lowe’s and Home Depot. Lowes sells PowerPro Home Depot sells GRK but look for Trim Screws. These are a very clever desisgn which might preclude counter sinking in some some woods. Lets face it the threads hold the wood together not the screw head.  I have some planes irons for sale after the holidays, a few from Hock a few from  ****bear, pm me if interested.
(12-22-2021, 04:18 PM)maswindell Wrote: While on youtube a channel poped up about making french cleats  which I have used for other people's projects. Any way he was these trim screws Lowe’s and Home Depot. Lowes sells PowerPro Home Depot sells GRK but look for Trim Screws. These are a very clever desisgn which might preclude counter sinking in some some woods. Lets face it the threads hold the wood together not the screw head.  I have some planes irons for sale after the holidays, a few from Hock a few from  ****bear, pm me if interested.

I must correct your statement "the threads hold the wood together not the screw head". A properly done joint held together with screws has the hole in the upper member the same size as the screw shank and the hole in the bottom member is small enough for the screw threads to bite into. This allows the head of the screw and the threads to pull the two pieces together tightly. Screws like the GRK screws are designed as self drilling. So, note that the diameter of the unthreaded shank under the head and the shank portion that is threaded are the same. The threads extend out to a larger diameter. Again, this allows the screw to pull the two pieces together tightly. There are other variations on this, but they never should be used in such a way that the threads bite into both pieces unless the two pieces are tightly clamped together prior to inserting the screw.
(12-22-2021, 05:10 PM)Willyou Wrote: I must correct your statement "the threads hold the wood together not the screw head". A properly done joint held together with screws has the hole in the upper member the same size as the screw shank and the hole in the bottom member is small enough for the screw threads to bite into. This allows the head of the screw and the threads to pull the two pieces together tightly. Screws like the GRK screws are designed as self drilling. So, note that the diameter of the unthreaded shank under the head and the shank portion that is threaded are the same. The threads extend out to a larger diameter. Again, this allows the screw to pull the two pieces together tightly. There are other variations on this, but they never should be used in such a way that the threads bite into both pieces unless the two pieces are tightly clamped together prior to inserting the screw.

These are really nice fasteners for the right application. A couple of years ago I built a bank of base cabinets in an alcove of the shop, 15+ feet long, 20+ drawers in all. Dovetailed all but the four larger ones for taller items. On those I used a modified dado joint that overlapped the drawer front. Needed something besides glue to reinforce the joint. Discovered these drive screws at Home Depot and decided to use them. They have small torx heads, even better. I counter-bored each screw location (1/4" dia) and predrilled each hole for the threaded part. Joint came out great and is very strong. Made some plugs out of walnut scraps which contrasts nicely with the lighter wood I used for the drawers. Will try to post a couple pics later.

Doug
I've used these.  They come with either a square drive or a starbit drive.  I've mostly used it for the plastic exterior trim.  They self-sink and leave a small hole to fill with white caulk.

The head of a screw does do work.  It acts as a flange allowing you to tighten materials without cracking them. 

And drawer screws allow you to drill an oversized hole and make fine adjustments on the position of the drawer face.

[Image: 65486-01-1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Quote:In fact, with Lowe's and Home Depot screws, you can fast with excellent fasteners, even for the screw heads. The fact that you think that the fasteners only hold the boards is a mistaken opinion. Maybe you've dealt only with a small number of fasteners designed exclusively for flat boards that need to be fixed with strong pressure? I bought fasteners on SPAM LINK DELETED many times. I found those that can catch on the screw heads from the entire selection of fasteners for my basement. Of course, I was a little worried about possible corrosion. But even two years later, I didn't notice a single rusty smudge on my basement wall. So don't be so sure of your opinion.

Spammer banned
Wood screw design leaves the top portion of the shank without threads to allow the screw head to draw the two pieces of wood together. Most of us have experienced how the threads of a wrong length screw actually push apart the two pieces. You have to back out the screw and retighten, which still may cause a problem.

One type trim head screw