What screws for these Z clips?
Rockler Table top fasteners come with bad screws. What would you replace them with? My main issue is that round head wood screws have an unthreaded section that is too long for the thin metal fasteners, and that means unthreaded part going into wood where threads should be. I could stack a couple washers, but that seems kinda cheeseball.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(12-23-2021, 01:54 PM)Aram Wrote: Rockler Table top fasteners come with bad screws. What would you replace them with? My main issue is that round head wood screws have an unthreaded section that is too long for the thin metal fasteners, and that means unthreaded part going into wood where threads should be. I could stack a couple washers, but that seems kinda cheeseball.

Screws for sheet metal have threads up to the head.   Many different head styles.  Roly
(12-23-2021, 02:14 PM)Roly Wrote: Screws for sheet metal have threads up to the head.   Many different head styles.  Roly

Thanks. Great point. They are grippy enough in wood and/or plywood?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(12-23-2021, 02:15 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks. Great point. They are grippy enough in wood and/or plywood?
Get a screw size that just fits thru the Z clip and predrill a hole and they will hold with no problem.    Just be careful on the length of the screw and drilling depth.  Get the screws a little shorter than the actual thickness so you don't drill thru or cause a bulge from the screw penetration.    Roly
(12-23-2021, 02:51 PM)Roly Wrote: Get a screw size that just fits thru the Z clip and predrill a hole and they will hold with no problem.    Just be careful on the length of the screw and drilling depth.  Get the screws a little shorter than the actual thickness so you don't drill thru or cause a bulge from the screw penetration.    Roly

Thanks, ordered. And yep, I always drill pilot holes!
Best,
Aram, always learning