To all shop layout savants.
(12-24-2021, 11:16 PM)EdL Wrote: Guessing your doing in 1/4 scale.

Draw your building, then make cutouts of everything, move around as needed. Used to do it that way in my long ago ie days.

Ed

Thanks, That is exactly what I am doing now.

I just thought there might be a better way!
(12-25-2021, 06:51 AM)iclark Wrote: What FredH said.

Plus make cutouts for 2 people your size that go with the board and the plywood. Alternatively, do a 2-part cutout for each tool: the basic shape for the tool itself and attach it to a different color cutout for where you would stand and move to use the tools. The larger cutouts can overlap as long as the larger part of one does not touch the core part of the other.

Then, start adding the dust collector duct work and include them in your wall standoff.

You would like to have your air compressor (not on your list) and dust collector in a sound isolating closet or external to the main space.

How are you getting electricity, compressed air, dust collection, and lighting to the tools not against the wall?

Are you installing a laundry sink for cleaning things (like brushes) or a half-bath (so that you do not have to run to the house through the weather when the need arises)?

Where will you be doing your finishing? If you do not set up a finishing area (preferably with exhaust), you will need to wait a few days between sanding and finishing if you care about dust settling onto your finish.

Where is your lumber storage? your clamps? how will you get the clamps from their storage to the assembly area(s)?
2ea 2'x3' tool boxes will not begin to store the saw blades, router bits, lathe chucks, routers, planes, saws, sand paper, and all of the other material needed to support those tools. Where do they store?

What are you using for in-feed and out-feed support for the TS, planer, jointer, drum sander, and router table?

Will you need an assembly table for something wider than a workbench?

Is that a 29' unobstructed span?  what is the clearance height?

Will you be wanting to turn blanks larger than you can readily lift in one hand? If so, you may want to consider having a hard point for a hoist over the lathe.

Sorry, but these are the FAQs that seem to cause heartburn for this sort of thread.

Wow, thank you for your detailed response!

LOTS of good questions and points to ponder.  I will take it all in.

The idea of having a cut out to represent a piece of plywood and a 2x4 is REALLY good. I did a lot of measuring on the draft I have now but nothing better than than seeing it!
When I knew I was going to get to build my dream shop (32'x48') two years ago I started trying to visualize my "workflow" as my dad had taught me.  Then I tried the on-line layout tools, Sketchup and finally the grid and scale cutouts to see what I wanted. Thought I had a good idea.
Rolleyes

I've been in it about 6 months and still haven't gotten it straightened out.  I have done a couple of projects -- front door for house, treads and risers for stairs, handicap and ramp for garage -- but it was always push stuff around until I had room to work.  Finally started to really make headway on organizing it this week BUT today I was standing in the middle of the floor after moving a couple of mobile pieces and realized I'd done it all backwards. 

So tomorrow I move a few more things and then I'll start laying out my machines/benches in the way I'll use them.  This time I'll remember to allow for access to the storage shelves I've filled up along one wall

Lesson is until you see it in full size you can't be sure how it will work.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(12-24-2021, 07:23 PM)iublue Wrote: I think I have decided on the size of my new shop.  Interior dimensions of 35'6 x 29'.
I am now planning the layout to maximize efficiency of the space and reduce the number of steps.
I am sure I will be taking extra steps compared to my layout now but it will be nice to have permanent spots for all the machinery and not have to wheel everything around.

I work in a shop about 1/6 the size of that shop, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

I would prioritize the tools you use most often.  The other tools can be wheeled when needed or put further away so you have  to walk farther.

In addition to the floor space, consider the vertical space.  For example, a long board going through the bandsaw can probably go over the top of the tablesaw or workbench.  Or tools can be used under a high shelf.

Don't forget about leaving a space for the thing you are building.

Give yourself some flat space that is not a workbench or tool surface where you can put things down.  It could be shelves or a designated table.  Then you have a place to put things down without cluttering your work area.

You probably don't need this in a shop that big, but long stock can often go through an open door or window.

Mark
Wink 
My first suggestion is to look at the overall size of the building.  Unless you have property set back issues or other obstructions, I would design in 4' increments.  You just get better yield out of your building materials since sheet goods are 4' x 8'.  So if you are saying 29', why not go to 32'.  Again, just a suggestion.

So here is my layout of my shop.  Smaller than yours, but may give you some ideas.  Mine is not a standalone shop, but rather two bays of our attached three car garage.  

I have a tool cluster of consisting of a jointer, planer, shaper, drum sander and a smaller bandsaw.  Having the jointer and planer next to each other is helpful.

I usually break down lumber on the Grizzly bandsaw, set the lumber on the table saw, then jointer, planer and through the drum sander.  Once I get my stock sanded, I set it on the assembly table and then pull it off there to machined or ripped on the table saw/shaper/etc.  Seems like a decent work flow for me and not making wasted trips around the shop.......except when I can't find my pencil 
Winkgrin

I store all my lumber out in a separate building and only bring in what I need

Hopefully this gives you some ideas!

Good luck!

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Cut outs and graph paper is how I did it the first time, later Sketchup once I was comfortable with it.

Don't forget to consider infeed and outfeed spaces!
(01-03-2022, 08:32 AM)KLaz Wrote: My first suggestion is to look at the overall size of the building.  Unless you have property set back issues or other obstructions, I would design in 4' increments.  You just get better yield out of your building materials since sheet goods are 4' x 8'.  So if you are saying 29', why not go to 32'.  Again, just a suggestion.

So here is my layout of my shop.  Smaller than yours, but may give you some ideas.  Mine is not a standalone shop, but rather two bays of our attached three car garage.  

I have a tool cluster of consisting of a jointer, planer, shaper, drum sander and a smaller bandsaw.  Having the jointer and planer next to each other is helpful.

I usually break down lumber on the Grizzly bandsaw, set the lumber on the table saw, then jointer, planer and through the drum sander.  Once I get my stock sanded, I set it on the assembly table and then pull it off there to machined or ripped on the table saw/shaper/etc.  Seems like a decent work flow for me and not making wasted trips around the shop.......except when I can't find my pencil 
Winkgrin

I store all my lumber out in a separate building and only bring in what I need

Hopefully this gives you some ideas!

Good luck!

darn nice looking shop.  I don't know if mine is EVERY that clean!!
Big Grin 

Is that Norfab ducting?  That is what Clear Vue recommends.