To all shop layout savants.
I think I have decided on the size of my new shop.  Interior dimensions of 35'6 x 29'.
I am now planning the layout to maximize efficiency of the space and reduce the number of steps.
I am sure I will be taking extra steps compared to my layout now but it will be nice to have permanent spots for all the machinery and not have to wheel everything around.

Here are the machines and the approximate footprint for each:

Table saw - 8' x 8'
Dust collector - 4' x 4'
Chop saw and bench - 3' x 16'
Tool boxes - 2 - 2' x 3'
Benches - 3' x 6' - 3' x 6' - 3' x 9'
CNC - 6' x 6'
Lathe - 4' x 7'
Drum Sander - 3' x 4'
Planer - 4' x 4'
Jointer - 3' x 7'
Bandsaw - 4' x 4'
Router table - 5' x 5'

I am laying it out on graph paper but if anyone has a great idea, I would appreciate it!

TIA

Toney
Guessing your doing in 1/4 scale.

Draw your building, then make cutouts of everything, move around as needed. Used to do it that way in my long ago ie days.

Ed
The closest I get to savant is being an i*d*i*o*t But I'll weigh in anyway.

I have tried Sketchup, drawing programs (Keynote on a Mac), and as EdL mentioned, paper cutouts. I agree with him, cutouts are quickest, easiest way to rearrange.

Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
What they said^^^^^, cutouts and move them around. Also make a cutout of a 10' long board as well as a 4x8 piece of something to make sure you can swing that stuff around. That said, I've had 4 shops and despite my best efforts to arrive at a permanent layout I was somehow never able to achieve that. There was always changes down the road, for which I was thankful to have everything on mobile bases. Besides, those bases help with the once-every-2-years-or-so cleaning I do.
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What FredH said.

Plus make cutouts for 2 people your size that go with the board and the plywood. Alternatively, do a 2-part cutout for each tool: the basic shape for the tool itself and attach it to a different color cutout for where you would stand and move to use the tools. The larger cutouts can overlap as long as the larger part of one does not touch the core part of the other.

Then, start adding the dust collector duct work and include them in your wall standoff.

You would like to have your air compressor (not on your list) and dust collector in a sound isolating closet or external to the main space.

How are you getting electricity, compressed air, dust collection, and lighting to the tools not against the wall?

Are you installing a laundry sink for cleaning things (like brushes) or a half-bath (so that you do not have to run to the house through the weather when the need arises)?

Where will you be doing your finishing? If you do not set up a finishing area (preferably with exhaust), you will need to wait a few days between sanding and finishing if you care about dust settling onto your finish.

Where is your lumber storage? your clamps? how will you get the clamps from their storage to the assembly area(s)?
2ea 2'x3' tool boxes will not begin to store the saw blades, router bits, lathe chucks, routers, planes, saws, sand paper, and all of the other material needed to support those tools. Where do they store?

What are you using for in-feed and out-feed support for the TS, planer, jointer, drum sander, and router table?

Will you need an assembly table for something wider than a workbench?

Is that a 29' unobstructed span?  what is the clearance height?

Will you be wanting to turn blanks larger than you can readily lift in one hand? If so, you may want to consider having a hard point for a hoist over the lathe.

Sorry, but these are the FAQs that seem to cause heartburn for this sort of thread.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-24-2021, 07:23 PM)iublue Wrote: I think I have decided on the size of my new shop.  Interior dimensions of 35'6 x 29'.
I am now planning the layout to maximize efficiency of the space and reduce the number of steps.
I am sure I will be taking extra steps compared to my layout now but it will be nice to have permanent spots for all the machinery and not have to wheel everything around.

Here are the machines and the approximate footprint for each:

Table saw - 8' x 8'
Dust collector - 4' x 4'
Chop saw and bench - 3' x 16'
Tool boxes - 2 - 2' x 3'
Benches - 3' x 6' - 3' x 6' - 3' x 9'
CNC - 6' x 6'
Lathe - 4' x 7'
Drum Sander - 3' x 4'
Planer - 4' x 4'
Jointer - 3' x 7'
Bandsaw - 4' x 4'
Router table - 5' x 5'

I am laying it out on graph paper but if anyone has a great idea, I would appreciate it!

TIA

Toney

Put in floor outlets.  A couple of circuits.  I use them all the time.  I purchased those grey plastic outlet covers.  The dust covers are hard to open and some break off.  The cans I used are Carlon (grey plastic).  You can get brass cover plates but they are really expensive.  That's why I went with the plastic.  I also pulled my wire before the concrete pour.  Made it alot easier.
(12-25-2021, 06:17 AM)fredhargis Wrote: What they said^^^^^, cutouts and move them around. Also make a cutout of a 10' long board as well as a 4x8 piece of something to make sure you can swing that stuff around. That said, I've had 4 shops and despite my best efforts to arrive at a permanent layout I was somehow never able to achieve that. There was always changes down the road, for which I was thankful to have everything on mobile bases. Besides, those bases help with the once-every-2-years-or-so cleaning I do.
Laugh

dido! You don't make a shop, it evolves. I'm in the early stages of planning a new shop, but am afraid it's a few years off till I actually do it. I like Tony's size. I'm leaning to a 40 X 20 myself. It all comes down to $$$
Jim
I too am a fan of the coutouts. Thats how I laid out my shop at the new house 7 years ago. Just make sure you include the needed room around the tools so you can process the materials. Played around with my layout for quite a while. Worked out great. Haven't felt the need to change it in the last 7 years.
Cutouts and graph paper worked for me to get a base layout. Be sure to snap a pic or scan a layout you like before pulling it apart to do another version. Once we had all the large stuff in the shop either on rolling bases or temporarily on HF movers dollies to fine tune. Be sure to plan your DC duct runs at the same time.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
It's a good day...I learned something.

I aint no savant.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood