Sketchup vs Fusion 360
In addition to woodworking, I've developed an interest in metalworking. Actually acquired some basic machinery to get started. For both, I'd like to update my drawing and auto design skills. I've dabbled in Sketchup in the past but never dedicated the time necessary to become proficient.

Realizing this is archaic to many here, I have basic drafting and illustration skills from many years past and can still do a pretty good job drawing up objects with pencil and paper. Would like to be able to do it faster and with the precision inherent in these programs. I've done some basic research online comparing the two. Early thoughts lean towards Sketchup since it seems to be a little easier for beginners. This will be strictly for home hobbyist projects. 

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Doug
I haven't used Sketchup but I do use Fusion 360 for my 3D printer.  I don't find it easy to use but I fumble through it and  get something close enough that will work.  I wouldn't use  it for anything 2D because it is too complicated.  I use Aspire for the cnc.  For anything else  that I am building I just free hand a rough sketch on paper with measurements  and figure the rest of it out as I go.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I have been been thinking about building a CNC machine for myself. Before some of you fly off the handle about that statement, that is what I did for a living. And I still work part time in the tool room at a machine shop. The mechanicals are easy. I have a person to do the electrical end. So the actual build is not a concern.

Why am I writing? I have asked several reliable where I work  about what cad and cam programs I should get. And most have said Fusion. As far as the number goes I do not have it right off the top o my head. But they say it is free to the hobbyist.

My concern is learning the cad -can part and more so the cad. Computers and cell phones are sources of frustrations for my generation, so that part is going to take a lot of time and help for me to be able to do what I want to do.

I am going to go with fusion because I can get help at work and it interfaces with CNC. I do not know about SketchUp. So in your case CNC may be the next logical step and it is something else to consider. 

Tom
Thanks to you both for your thoughts. I have an online friend who is very conversant in Fusion 360 and has volunteered to help me learn it - He's an ME. Tom, I'm probably of your generation (maybe older) and know the learning curve, at least in the beginning will be steep. I worry about becoming frustrated and losing interest. However, with this new interest in metalworking, having this skill would really be useful.

Thanks again,

Doug
I'm reasonably competent with SketchUp.  I tried learning Fusion 360, even bought a tutorial, but the learning curve is very steep compared to SketchUp.  To make matters worse, the tutorial I bought used terminology inconsistent with the on-line tutorials and the program itself.  After a few hours I gave up.  

After thinking I never would, I recently placed an order for a CNC with V-Carve Pro as the software to run it.  It turns out you can import SketchUp files into V-Carve so I'm all set.  Had I learned Fusion 360 I would not have needed to buy V-Carve.  On the other hand, V-Carve comes with all kinds of carving designs in the price.  

Doug, if you intend to get a CNC machine, I would try to learn Fusion 360.  Having someone to teach you would be a huge benefit; it's what I would have needed to learn it.  If you just want to make accurate, high quality 3D drawings then SketchUp would be the easier option to learn IMO. I was able to learn the fundamentals in just a few hours from a tutorial.  And you can import both 2D and 3D SketchUp models into many CNC programs, so if you decided down the road to get a CNC you can still continue with it.  

A word of caution.  No 3D CAD program has any similarity to drafting by hand.  But both SketchUp and Fusion360 are free, so give one or both a try.  

John
(12-26-2021, 04:11 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm reasonably competent with SketchUp.  I tried learning Fusion 360, even bought a tutorial, but the learning curve is very steep compared to SketchUp.  To make matters worse, the tutorial I bought used terminology inconsistent with the on-line tutorials and the program itself.  After a few hours I gave up.  

After thinking I never would, I recently placed an order for a CNC with V-Carve Pro as the software to run it.  It turns out you can import SketchUp files into V-Carve so I'm all set.  Had I learned Fusion 360 I would not have needed to buy V-Carve.  On the other hand, V-Carve comes with all kinds of carving designs in the price.  

Doug, if you intend to get a CNC machine, I would try to learn Fusion 360.  Having someone to teach you would be a huge benefit; it's what I would have needed to learn it.  If you just want to make accurate, high quality 3D drawings then SketchUp would be the easier option to learn IMO. I was able to learn the fundamentals in just a few hours from a tutorial.  And you can import both 2D and 3D SketchUp models into many CNC programs, so if you decided down the road to get a CNC you can still continue with it.  

A word of caution.  No 3D CAD program has any similarity to drafting by hand.  But both SketchUp and Fusion360 are free, so give one or both a try.  

John

Hi John,

Knew you were a Sketchup user so glad you responded. At this time I have no plans to get a CNC machine. I figure with woodworking and metal work I'll have plenty on my plate probably until the "fat lady sings." Only doing this as a hobby both for woodworking and now metalworking. I want to become as proficient as possible in the shortest period of time. 

I do and have realized that CAD and line drawing are not related at all. My "dabbling" around with Sketchup in the past gave me a feel for the difference, which is significant. These CAD programs work off of menus and icons and the choices seem infinite. As I see it the trick is rote use, i.e. do each task enough times so that it becomes somewhat second nature (a big "ask" IMO). This technique reminds me of what the D.I.'s said in Army basic and AIT: "We're going to tell you what we're going to tell you, then we're going to tell you, then we're going to tell you what we told you!" It worked! 

I'm thinking Sketchup has the edge right now.

Thanks,

Doug
(12-26-2021, 12:58 PM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks to you both for your thoughts. I have an online friend who is very conversant in Fusion 360 and has volunteered to help me learn it - He's an ME. Tom, I'm probably of your generation (maybe older) and know the learning curve, at least in the beginning will be steep. I worry about becoming frustrated and losing interest. However, with this new interest in metalworking, having this skill would really be useful.

Thanks again,

Doug

I cut my first and only gear in high school at 15 years of age. I started working in my first tool and die shop  on August 20th of 1962 at the age of 16. I was in a program called trades in industries in high school. The owner asked me what my plans for the future was when I graduated and I asked if I could keep on working for him. So he started me on my apprenticeship when I graduated. I served 4 months of my apprenticeship before it was legal for me to work. I turned 18 in Oct of 1963.  I worked 55 hours a week for the first two weeks  before I actually started my senior year of high school and then was cut back to 30 a week during senior year.  

August 20 of 20220 I will have worked at my metal working trade for 60 years. So Unlike you I do not have a new interest in working with metal.

And the same as you I worry about becoming frustrated with the learning curve and loosing interest. I figure I can build a 2 Ft. by 4 Ft. CNC for about $1000. The place I work part time for will let me buy anything I need at their cost.  I can not afford to loose interest with $1000 invested. It is hard tp take the next step.

Tom
(12-26-2021, 05:42 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I cut my first and only gear in high school at 15 years of age. I started working in my first tool and die shop  on August 20th of 1962 at the age of 16. I was in a program called trades in industries in high school. The owner asked me what my plans for the future was when I graduated and I asked if I could keep on working for him. So he started me on my apprenticeship when I graduated. I served 4 months of my apprenticeship before it was legal for me to work. I turned 18 in Oct of 1963.  I worked 55 hours a week for the first two weeks  before I actually started my senior year of high school and then was cut back to 30 a week during senior year.  

August 20 of 20220 I will have worked at my metal working trade for 60 years. So Unlike you I do not have a new interest in working with metal.

And the same as you I worry about becoming frustrated with the learning curve and loosing interest. I figure I can build a 2 Ft. by 4 Ft. CNC for about $1000. The place I work part time for will let me buy anything I need at their cost.  I can not afford to loose interest with $1000 invested. It is hard tp take the next step.

Tom

Hi Tom,

My dad was a machinist by training and trade. Worked at NASA on the Saturn/Apollo program. He never had any machines at home in his shop and at home woodworking was the focus in addition to other hobbies. I went off to college, a career with "Big Blue" and never had the inclination or opportunity to learn the trade. I never got the training but think I did get the gene. 

I certainly share your concern on the learning curve. I just watched a beginner's video on YouTube on Sketchup and was reminded as to how much information you must digest to get going.

Some projects came up recently that could use machine work. Through a friend I also came to know and have become friends with the owner of a local machine shop. One thing led to another and here I am. I see this as a new adventure in life. At my age it is exciting to think about learning something new!

Thanks again to all,

Doug
(12-26-2021, 06:32 PM)Tapper Wrote: Hi Tom,

My dad was a machinist by training and trade. Worked at NASA on the Saturn/Apollo program. He never had any machines at home in his shop and at home woodworking was the focus in addition to other hobbies. I went off to college, a career with "Big Blue" and never had the inclination or opportunity to learn the trade. I never got the training but think I did get the gene. 

I certainly share your concern on the learning curve. I just watched a beginner's video on YouTube on Sketchup and was reminded as to how much information you must digest to get going.

Some projects came up recently that could use machine work. Through a friend I also came to know and have become friends with the owner of a local machine shop. One thing led to another and here I am. I see this as a new adventure in life. At my age it is exciting to think about learning something new!

Thanks again to all,

Doug

If you learn easily by watching videos then have at it, but that didn't work for me with SketchUp; I just couldn't make any progress.  After I bought a hardcopy tutorial I learned the fundamentals, enough to actually make a working model of a piece of furniture, in 4 to 6 hours.  A live instructor would be even better for me, but short of that I prefer text over video.  

John
(12-26-2021, 07:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If you learn easily by watching videos then have at it, but that didn't work for me with SketchUp; I just couldn't make any progress.  After I bought a hardcopy tutorial I learned the fundamentals, enough to actually make a working model of a piece of furniture, in 4 to 6 yours.  A live instructor would be even better for me, but short of that I prefer text over video.  

John

Didn't mean to mislead you. I was watching videos just to re-familiarize myself with the program. They have a free tutorial online that I'm going to download (having trouble with it on their web site) and see how that goes. I'm also fortunate to have two experts, one on Sketchup, the other on Fusion 360 who have agreed to help me with screen share sessions. I think Fusion 360 has a similar tutorial. 

We'll see how it goes.

Doug