Mini Bar Basement Nook ideas?
Hello to everyone! New to this forum but not so much in terms of woodworking. Attached are some pics of my winter covid project, finishing my basement but having difficulty deciding what to do with the small nook located in the wall. It’s 39.5” x 21.5”, I ran hot/cold water, a drain and GFCi in hopes of creating a small mini bar.  Anyone have any links/books/guides/ideas on DIY cabinet making? Never made cabinets before but are confident and excited to give it a go! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Attached Files Image(s)

No idea what to put there but the project sure turned out nice. Leaving the joists exposed worked out well. Looks good.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Why not just some lower cabinets with a bar sink. Put open shelves above for booze/glasses. Do a wall treatment that goes with the decor - maybe barn wood?
(12-27-2021, 09:30 AM)vernonator Wrote: Why not just some lower cabinets with a bar sink. Put open shelves above for booze/glasses. Do a wall treatment that goes with the decor - maybe barn wood?

This ^^^^

Truth be told, in a location like that, you don't even need full sides or a back to your lower cabinet,

just a face (with doors), and a top.

I suggest you go to Lowe's for the top, as they have a great selection. 

No doubt other big box stores do as well, but we've had good luck with Lowes.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(12-27-2021, 11:42 AM)barnowl Wrote: This ^^^^

Truth be told, in a location like that, you don't even need full sides or a back to your lower cabinet,

Good catch on not really needing sides, should be easy to set a top with a small sink..  thanks for the feedback!
If it were me I would get the dimensions of that nook and see if there's something at one of the big box stores that's a close fit. The cabinet you can add a face frame to cover any gaps. Finding a top that is the right size might be an issue. I'd be tempted to look at making a concrete counter top.

(12-27-2021, 11:42 AM)barnowl Wrote: This ^^^^

Good catch on not really needing sides, should be easy to set a top with a small sink..  thanks for the feedback!
If I were doing it and that alcove wasn't designed to accept a standard sized base cabinet, I would probably just build a face frame with doors and install a butcher block countertop so it could easily be cut to size. Put a cleat on the back and side walls to support the top. It doesn't look deep enough to accept a 24" cabinet so a standard sink wouldn't fit either. a 15" bar sink might be the best bet. This is assuming the OP isn't interested in in a protruding cabinet. It still might have to protrude soe just to be able to fit a bar sink and allow for a a backsplash and clearances around the rim for mounting.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay